A
A
A
Close

lantus peaks and lows

GSB
I am 41 years old and have been diabetic since I was 10 years old
I am new to using Lantus and Humalog.
I am having the same problem as many others I was told to take lantus at night and have switch to taking it in the morning because of lows in the morning and have found that now my blood sugars run about 200 to 250 in the morning. I find that if I take my lantus about 7:00 in the morning and test my bs I can be at a normal level again prety quick using the 2 units of humalog to every 50 bs I need to drop, and my bs usualy stay pretty stable with this method. It's not perfect but it seems to work for me. I am not a doctor and I can not say this will work for everyone but if you can test a few time to see how much you bs drops with 2 units of humalog you can gage yourself pretty well this way and just take the humalog after you eat instead of before you eat and test after eating to tell where you need to be.
I hope this helps.
If anyone disagree please post your concern.

GSB
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Lantus has no "peeks" However, some folks do split their doses half in the am and half in the pm. The most important thing is to take it the same times every day. Any change in your meds you should consult with your doctor first.
Helpful - 0
GSB

I Have to agree that you should check with your doctor as the doseage maybe different and should not be used for you. as everyones insulin resistance will be different for the humalog injection.

BTW I use the glargine RDNA lantus.

?? you say that a 80% day and 20% night doseage should work
so if I use 20 units day I should use 4 units at night say 10:00 PM

24 total
24 x .2 = 4.8 round down for saftey so 4 to start at night
and
24 x .8 = 18.4 so 18 in the morning will work I'll give it a try as it can only help

THANKS AGAIN any comments please post again thanks all.

GSB
Helpful - 0
Before you change your dose, you should do it gradually... my doctor had me start by removing only 1 unit of my morning dose of Lantus, and then that night I took 1 unit of Lantus. That meant that I was only 1 unit shy of my total for the day. Then I waited 2 days to see what the pattern would be (you could even wait longer to see what happens). Then I did the same procedure again, removing another unit from my morning dose of Lantus and adding it to my evening dose. And wait several days to see what happens in the mornings. You eventually get to the perfect dose for you by doing it one day at a time with a few "let's see how this works" days in between to observe the morning sugars.

You will notice less of a "peak" action in the morning than you had before, so you may have to adjust your Humalog or Novolog a tiny bit as you do this.

I do the 80 percent / 20 percent split, but my identical twin (also a type 1 diabetic) finds that a 50 percent split in both doses works best for her. So each of us is different. Please don't try my percentage, but start with the one unit at a time procedure in order to protect yourself from night lows. And do discuss with your endocrinologist. He needs to be aware of your intent to split the dose and also of what your final split dose is in case (heaven forbid) you were ever in an accident and couldn't tell the hospital staff what your dosage is supposed to be.
Helpful - 0
GSB
sorry you must of been writing the same time as me. i POSTED then went back and saw your reply.

before I make a change I would really like to know if it is a peak time thing.
As I am confused about going from 109 to 254 while I slept.

as far as changing 1 unit at a time that dose make sense. again knowing more about the peak time would be a great help if you can point me in the right .
direction I would appreaciate it.

Thanks Again

GSB

Helpful - 0
GSB
I am sorry I messed up it should of been
19.2 for the daytime dose but i'll round down to 18 to start.

I have on more question last night at 10:00 PM my bs was 109 mg
when I tested at 7:00 Am it was 254 mg and I ate nothing in between.
how can this be happening?

my docotor tells me lantus dose not peak like other insulins and lasts 24 hours
but that dose not work for me as it seems to stop working sometime between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM which is 9 hours stretch of time is there some way I can find the times that it normally peaks and the time that it normally stops working as this would be a great help in becoming more stable.

Thanks Again

GSB
Helpful - 0
One more thing to add... didn't think of this when writing the comment above this one. You CAN'T just start with a larger percentage, for either you would find yourself way high all day if you just cut several units from your Lantus in the morning without that extra Lantus the night before, or if you simply start the new night dose on top of the full morning dose, you will go low. One unit at a time is safe, but more is  not. Hope that makes sense. The problem is that one dose is still working strong when you take the other one. So if you change one, then you can get messed up really quickly if you do it more than one unit at a time. I don't want you to get hurt.  
Helpful - 0
Each person has a different insulin-to-carb ratio that should be developed specifically for that individual by his or her endocrinologist. The dosage written about here is right for GSB, but nobody should assume that it is right for them without working with their own doctor to figure out his or her own insulin-to-carb ratio.

As for running high in the morning, many of us who take Lantus in the morning have to split that dosage, taking most of it in a morning shot, but a portion in a before-bedtime shot. This adds another injection to our routines, but it keeps some Lantus working while we sleep, only not as much as when we take the entire dose in the evening. For some, the split is about 50 percent in the morning and 50 percent in the evening, but in my own case, I take about 80 percent of my Lantus in the morning and 20 percent at night before bedtime. Again, each person is different, and the endocrinologist usually works with us to develop the right split of the dosage if it is felt that doing this is the best way to avoid high levels on a regular basis in the mornings.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.