Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Daughter with frequent urination, thirst, lethargy

My daughter is 3 1/2. She drinks constantly. Not just a small cup of milk or water, an adult size cup full. She can finish it in 2mins or less. She will do this 8-12cups a day with no problem. I am sure all of the drinking is part of it, but she urinates all the time. Complains at least 5-6x a week of bad belly pain...to the point where she is in tears. She sleeps all the time and has lost some weight. I am not sure if she is on the verge of another growth spurt or if its something to worry about. She has always been a laid back kid, but sometimes she is so blah, we can hardly get her moving. She is 37lbs and 40" tall. She is also constantly hungry. Her uncle (my brother in law), maternal great grandmother (my grandmother) and cousin are all type I diabetics. My brother in law was diagnosed at the age of 9. He had a slow onset, not the sudden downfall. I work for a doctor and will run her urine this week just to make sure she isn't spilling sugars. She has a preschool physical on the 29th, but I thought I would ask some opinions on here. I hate to be the "over reacting parent." Any advice is appreciated!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for the advice. She has an apt tomorrow. I will post when I know more.
Helpful - 0
I agree. Get your child to an emergency room -- NOW! The situation is that serious.
Helpful - 0
Hello.  Your daughter has many classic symptoms of type 1 diabetes.  Considering the family history, I would get her in to a doctor first thing in the morning for a blood sugar test.  Some time this week is far too far off.  If you can test her tonight, just to know, I would suggest doing that.  Because of the hunger, because of the stomach pain, it's likely that she is spilling ketones, and that is a very bad thing.  I hope the diagnosis isn't diabetes, but I'm afraid it probably is.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.