Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Diabetic Symptoms in 4 year old daughter

My 4 year old is experiencing the following symptoms and I am currently trying to get her into a doctor for a diabetic screening, but I am just curious as to what other Doctors and such think about this.
These are her symptoms:
-Constant thirst; even through the night
-always hungary; can eat all day and still not be full
-unusual cravings for bread, bagels, ect.
-poor weight gain, looks malnurished; docs have always been concerned about her low weight
-itching "down-there" and has holes in underware because of this
-urinating possibly a little more than most, sometimes there is bed wetting, but not a lot; took a long time to potty train though.
-tummy aches/headaches at least 1 or 2 times a week, sometimes with vomiting, but fine the rest of the day
-always seems to get the sickest; when a cold goes around or a virus, she seems to get it the worst.

Also, diabetes runs all through the maternal side of the family with an aunt with type 1. I appreciate any and all feed back.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello,

I'm not a doctor, but from some personal experience with my 4 year old daughter, I just thought I would put a thought into your head.

My daughter had contracted a pork tapeworm a couple of years ago and was craving breads, and was a bottomless pit. She has rings around her eyes which they call allergic shiners. She did gain weight and grow well, surprisingly with what was going on with her. There were multiple things going on with her, so I will keep it simple.

Pediatricians said my daughter's eyes looked fine. I, in my gut, knew it wasn't right. She had a speech delay. She developed ADD-ish behavior (i.e. wouldn't sit still, blurt out things out of the blue, wouldn't engage eye to eye contact) and I wanted to get to the bottom of it. Through meeting people and searching, I met doctors and Chiropractors/Kinesiologists that were able, to over time, figure out that she had a tapeworm which was the result of the bottomless pit and bread eating (tapeworms love breads, I guess) and also had a Gluten and Dairy allergy. She was in alot of pain and in result, wasn't able to be...just be.

My suggestion to you is, have you ever went the route of checking to see if there are any food allergies or parasitic infections? They can do ALOT to a person and cause symptoms you wouldn't even think it would cause.

She is on a gluten-dairy free diet now. It's hard, but she is making great strides to heal her gut. I'm not saying that your daughter has that, but that you might want to check that direction.

Please email me back to let me know how she is doing.
Helpful - 0
The blood work just came back for my daughter, and everything seems to be normal. But I am still concerned that there is something up. I feel like something is causing these symptoms. Is there anything else that this may sound like?
Helpful - 0
Hi!  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  Your daughter has many of the classic symptoms of diabetes.  I didn't even know this until I checked on it, but diabetes makes kids more susceptible to skin problems including itching.  I think you would be prudent to get her to the doctor as soon as you can.  I hope the diagnosis isn't what I suspect it is.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.