Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Diabetes

I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago when I was around 15. I've been in college for about 3 yrs now and I've attended a few college parties. I started drinking at these parties and I told my doctor. She said I should stop drinking but didn't give me a reason why. I was wondering if any of you had personal experiences with this and could give me some advice on drinking and diabetes.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for coming to this forum in search of answers to your question.  We have had numerous questions and postings in regards to diabetes and alcohol.  Scroll down through the forum and read all that's been posted ~ I think you'll find what you're looking for regarding the advice your doctor has given you.  If not, come back and post again!
wishing you the best!
Helpful - 0
Dear NdnInformer,
As a mom of a 27-year-old son with type one and not a physician, I can only tell you about my own experience with drinking and diabetes. I hope you have looked at the past thread. The problem I have with someone with type 1 and drinking alcohol is that your bs will rise and then can drop to a very low level causing a reaction that, because of impaired thinking, you might not recognize in time to correct the situation. Your friends in college might think you just went to sleep when it might be much more serious. I understand that parties in college are quite normal, but I would recommend that you try to take care not to drink at these events. If you saw the thread, my son became a designated driver and his friends have a great apprectiation for him. I understand the need to not be different than your peers, but the most important thing is your health. The fact that you are seeking information shows your intelligence and concern for yourself. I wish you well. Please stay in contact. This is a very important issue in this forum and we all can agree to disagree. I appreciate the comments from all and would love to hear back from you.

Best of Luck,
dm

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.