Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Type 1 daughter frequent gastoenteritis

My Type 1 daughter, who is nearly 5, has had diabetes for almost a year.  Over our winter (southern hemisphere June-August) she has had several bouts of vomiting, only once with diaohrrea.  She goes low quickly and develops high ketones over a period of hours, which always ends up with us being admitted to the local children's hospital for her to go on a glucose drip to get her BGLs high enough to administer insulin to then bring the ketones down. It is very worrying and has happened so often they know us by name at the hospital! Is this a situation that occurs with other diabetic children (it doesn't appear to be common here in New Zealand)? What were the reasons? Is there anything we should be doing to check her out; is it just bad luck that she has been exposed to a lot of viruses at her kindergarten; or does it fall in to the category of something we should not worry about? Any ideas you can offer would be gratefully received.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
One endocrinologist told me that many type 1 diabetics seem to be more prone to getting sick with viruses than other people. Part of the problem is the autoimmune disorder that causes us to become diabetic in the first place. I personally have not noticed this, but my identical twin sister certainly catches every virus she comes in contact with (she is also a type 1 diabetic, like me).

Besides that, some non-diabetic people just seem to be more prone to catching every virus that comes along. You seem to be doing the right thing in getting her to the hospital quickly as soon as the keytones go up. Some diabetic children seem to have more problems with DKA than others, and there really isn't anything you can do to change that. Each person is different and each person's body reacts differently to sickness. I am sorry that you are having this kind of stress, and all I can really tell you is that you seem to be reacting perfectly. About all we can do is to make sure that hands are washed often during the usual flu season, make sure she gets a flu shot when they are available, and try to keep her out of contact with people who are obviously sick.

Hopefully as she grows older, this will be less of a problem. Kids are sick a lot in those first few years of school when they are exposed to all sorts of viruses in a communal setting, but most do seem to grow out of some of the extreme reactions to viruses as they grow older. I hope your daughter is healthier in future years. Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Many new viruses are introduced into our bodies when we get into new environments such as school.  I would suggest makeing sure that she is on a vitamin to boost her immune system, and that she is drinking plenty of fluids.  

Do you have a nurse at school that can help her monitor her blood sugars throughout the day?  Changes in routine can also affect the glucose levels, and she may need to have her insulin doses adjusted.  

Our emotions can change our glucose requirements too. I have been type 1 diabetic for 20 years.  I notice that when I get nervous, my levels go down.  If your daughter is in a new enviroment, she may be less aware of what her symptoms are, and therefore not be getting a snack soon enough, which could lead to her vomiting.  

I have had plenty of odd experiences with low, and high blood sugars in my life, and am glad that I have the knowledge now that I am older to recognize the signs, and get things under control.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.