Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can someone give me some advice on losing weight?

I am a type 1 diabetic.I have been a diabetic for 19 years. Over the past 4 years I have gained a lot of weight. I am 80 lbs. overweight. I have been doing eveything I can think of to lose weight. I eat about 1200 -1500 calories a day. I have started exercising 60 mins a day. The first month I lost about 9 lbs. but for the last 2 months I have only lost about 1 pound. My doctors said that it would be easier with an insulin pump but its not.Some doctors act as if its not possible. So I was wondering does anyone have any advice or I am fighting a losing battle? Is there anyone  who have or had this problem and if so did you have any success!!!!!!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have had to fight weight all my life, including the juvenile diabetes part.  I used to rely on exercising alot - - skiiing, mountain climibing, running, swimming, paddle ball and exercise classes all worked.  Then, I got injured and grew fibroids that crippled me until surgery and got injured again and finally I was okay and got run over.  BUT, my physical therapist helped me find safe and adaptive gym equipment that I could simulate running on and I eventually lost 30 pounds and kept it off.  Now, there is a new product that my doctor suggested after my last injury (when I had to rest to recuperate) and I am not very well informed about it but it means another shot a day and I don't know the side effects, but there are side effects to staying fat too.  It is dispensed by prescription only.  An endocrinologist ordered me to diet during all this --  announced that, due to the deleterious effect of fat on diabetics, I should just cut out 500 calories from my diet and he didn't care what I ate, just reduce the calories by that much each day until I lost the weight.  Does this help?
Helpful - 0
This medication is not for type 1 diabetes is it?
Helpful - 0
Hello. I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes. Have you ever looked into the possibility of being prescribed with Metformin?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a696005.html

An excerpt:
'It decreases the amount of glucose you absorb from your food and the amount of glucose made by your liver. Metformin also increases your body's response to insulin, a natural substance that controls the amount of glucose in the blood. Metformin is not used to treat type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes.'

You have to be VERY careful when you're on this, because you risk lows because of how it works, but testimonials from people who are on it say they have lost weight because of it. It is certainly worth inquiring about.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.