Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Wisdom teeth problems and diabetes

My daughter is 16 and is considered and "Brittle Diabetic" recently put back on the pump.  Still trying to work out all the kinks.  She has now started having a lot of pain with her wisdom teeth.  Her jaw is swollen and we are seeing a dentist tomorrow.  My question is this:  Can this cause her blood sugar to fall drastically?  She was fine when she went to bed and woke up in the early a.m. with bs so low that she destroyed my kitchen.  she don't remember anything.  I know everything has an effect on your bs's but can this have this much effect? Thanks!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Don't take this personally or the wrong way. I was diagnosed when I was 9 and my mom (though I was not as brittle, or sick as your daughter) couldn't stop asking questions and was so afraid my life was going to be nothing. The questions were great (though I didn't think so at the time), and her fears never came true. I am now a teacher for a small school district and feel I am successful and have made it through many hurdles. I have to say though I dont have many answers to your questions, the advice I would give you is to ask anyone and everyone the same question twice. I do. I always need answers and opinions. Then, don't scare or instill a fear in your daughter of not being able to carry on a normal life. Not all things are permanant and since this is all fairly new to your family, kinks will eventually work themselves out. As a mother to another mother, and a diabetic who love her mom, just be patient and encouraging, and you yourself be encouraged, because there is a whole wealth of people on this forum and in the world who will stand behind you. Feel free to e-mail me if you ever need to vent. Good luck, and God Bless you and your family.
Helpful - 0
Why is her sugar staying high during the day and not responding to insulin until late in the afternoon when it drops out of sight?  I don't understand.  I had her surgery moved up so we can get this over with.  It's hard to know what to do about taking insulin when you don't know when it will take affect.
Helpful - 0
Hello again!  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  Stress, pain, and discomfort can do crazy things to blood sugars.  If she has an infection, and her liver had to work to fight that infection, it wouldn't be putting out the usual glucose that is covered by a basal rate, so the insulin from that basal rate would cause her to go low.  The liver can only do one thing at a time, and an infection would trump putting out glucose.  I'd suggest doing a temp basal lowering the percentage until the probable infection goes away.  Hope she starts feeling better soon!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.