Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

common symptoms pre and post meal

My 9 year old may be showing a few signs of juvenile diabetes, such as headaches, fatigue, behavioral changes/mood swings, persistant hunger; sometimes she's sweaty, then can quickly become very cold.  Bouts of blurry vision and "itchy" sensations during her temperment changes.  Daily feelings of nausea (always early morning pre-meal and just before bed), particularly over the last month.  Sleep at night seems to be relatively undisturbed.  She drinks alot, but does not urinate frequently.  She can look pale at times, but is fair skinned and this makes it difficult to always tell.  We have not yet seen the pediatrician, but do know that her paternal grandmother died of diabetes, which has recently come to our attention and is raising some concerns.  Are there common symptoms in children with juvenile diabetes prior to a meal, such as irritability and being "cantakerous", yet experience a sudden mood swing with a meal or just post meal, becoming pleasant and controllable?  We are considering having her tested for diabetes, but want to be certain by verifying her "symptoms" with those common in juvenile diabetes.  
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
she is not urinating frequently no diabetes. # 1 symptom. Always because the body will suck out every bit of moisture in the body to eliminate all extra sugar. Severe onset at this age almost always occurs. Have a pediatrician give her a long acting glucose evaluation test. Love and communication will calm her down.
Helpful - 0
Thank you and blessings.  We will be taking her in to be tested.  I'll keep you posted.
Helpful - 0
Hello.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  Your daughter appears to have many of the classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (high blood sugars).  The second page of this pdf shows the symptoms:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/download/NovoHypoglycemia.pdf

I would get her into the doctor to be tested as soon as possible.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.