Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Diabetic 2 1/2 yr old?

My 2 1/2 year old is not a big eater, but she drinks constantly and will wet through a pull up within a matter of minutes.  She has always been tiny so she isn't losing weight that I am aware of and doesn't seem to have any other symptoms.  My husband is a type I diabetic so I am a little concerned.  We did randomly check her blood sugar and it was around 120 and didn't seem too bad.  Is there a need to have the pediatrician check her out?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son was diagnosed at 16 months. He was drinking too much, and would wet through up to his armpits within a few hours of sleep. What REALLY tipped me off was the "acetone breath" It's a sign of ketoacidosis. Hopefully it hasn't gotten to that point, but my son was only diabetic for roughly a month before I noticed it. His breath, to me, smelled like nail polish remover...a kind of "fruity" smell. When I took him in to the dr's office his blood sugar was 550. No one told me to not feed him before they tested him so he had pasta, juice and a banana for lunch about half an hour before the test!! My suggestion is, smell her breath. First thing in the morning. If it smels a little "fruity" have her tested. Better safe than sorry.
Helpful - 0
Hello, hawkfan.  I'm not a medical professonal, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  The drinking and the peeing are definite symptoms of diabetes, but the 120 blood sugar is in the normal range for a healthy person.  The problem with trying to diagnose a 2 1/2 year old is that they don't have the communication skills to tell you everything about what they are feeling.  If I were you, to ease my concerns, I would take her to the doctor to get a more complete test.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.