Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pregnancy

I am having sugar in fasting 100 and 240 after two hours wof taking food and my age is 44. Is it advisble to give birth to a child? If it is OK, the child will be a normal child without any defect? Plese kindly advise me.

Thank you.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree with SGG, if you can go for a second opinion I would.  The older you are- you do run the risks of problems, but a doctor that deals with high risks pregnacies, should be able to handle the situation and advise you properly.
Helpful - 0
Because I am not a doctor, I ask that you do check everything I write to you with your own doctor, for he or she knows your personal health conditions and I do not. As for your age, I suspect that the most important thing for you, healthwise, is to make sure that the diabetes has not begun to damage kidneys or eyes or heart in any way before deciding to get pregnant. Your doctor should be doing tests annually on you to make sure that your kidneys are functioning well, etc. If you have some damage to any major organs, it would seem to make sense to be much more hesitant about pregnancy than if you are healthy. The general rule here in the United States is for the diabetic woman to make sure her glucose levels are under very tight control AND that her overall health has not been compromised in any way before conceiving. If she is healthy, then a pregnancy is not thought to be any more dangerous for her (or her baby) than for other women.

I do know that pregnancies after age 40 are considered to be more dangerous for both mom and baby than pregnancies when the mother is younger. So I cannot tell you if it would be safe or not for you at age 44. Some women have problems when they have children when in their 40's and some do very well as older moms. This is a risk that you need to be aware of, and it is a personal decision that you would have to make while aware that your age may pose a risk. This would have little to do with being diabetic, for healthy normal women have the same slightly greater risks of problems in pregnancy as they approach their middle years of life.

I do not know whether you are able to go to a second doctor for another opinion on the matter in your country or whether you must continue to see the one that you do not feel comfortable with. If you can get a second opinion, I would recommend that you do that. Then, I would ask this doctor exactly what percentages of problems are there for women over the age of 40 (the numbers may be different in my country from yours, for genetic factors in the local people, diet, lifestyles, and medical care all play roles in how well women do at various ages in various countries while pregnant). Once you are fully eductated about any possible risks, you can make a fully-informed decision and feel good about whatever your decision is. I do wish you well.
Helpful - 0
To

JDRF-Team-wak
JDRF team SGG

Thank you very uch for your kind advice nad enthusiactic words. Really I am very grateful to you. My doctors are nor advising properly and they are discouraging me in this matter. Last year  I conceived unexpectedly. At that time the sugarlevel after 2 hours of meal is 150. The doctor advised me it is not advisible to have a child and asked me to do DNC. I also worried very much and aborted that time. Afterwards I have been feeling for that very much till date. So only I posted a question to you. Now my only fear is I am aged 44 Is this a age to be pregnant that too with diabtic? Please give some more suggestion about this.

Thanks a lot for you.

With regards,
Suma

Helpful - 0
I am a type 1 diabetic who has had two successful pregnancies. I can tell you only what I have experienced and what I know from my experiences, and this may be something for you to check out with your doctor. First, when a diabetic attempts to have a baby, there are two primary danger periods for the baby: the first few weeks of development and the latter weeks of the pregnancy. The reason that these are the primary concerns is that the baby needs proper nourishment from the uterus when first developing and then later on as the baby matures so as not to suffer birth defects or perhaps loss of baby at the end of the pregnancy. Both of these dangers are directly related to high blood sugar levels which can damage small blood vessels that supply the uterus, and so diabetics are encouraged to get very tight control over their glucose levels during pregnancy. This protects both mom and baby. When I was pregnant, I was told that the optimum goal was to never have the glucose readings go above 150 at about 2-3 hours after a meal. I would discuss your overall control with your endocrinologist and your overall health (kidney and heart health) also, and make an effort to get the after meal readings down to optimum levels before attempting to get pregnant. WIth the latest in treatments, this is a reasonable goal and will make both you and a future baby safer. Many diabetic women have safe pregnancies and healthy babies.
Helpful - 0
I am not a physician, but the mom of a Type 1 child, and the daughter of a type 2. I am not qualified to give medical advice.

I would suggest that you talk to your Ob/GYN and your endocrinologist about your concerns about getting pregnant. There are several tests such as amniocentesis that can be done.  However there is NO guarantee that anyone will have a normal baby at birth, there is also NO way to know if the child will develop diabetes later on in life.  If there were, the world would be a different place.

I am sorry I could not give you a better answer, but do talk to you doctors about your concerns and I am sure that they will help you make the right choice for you and your family. I hope all works out well for you.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.