Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sugar blocker

Does anyone know how sugar blockers affect diabetes?  What about long term.  Is it safe to use?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi again, Miss Sassy,
I did a little research and found this info on a variety on pills to aid in the treatment of (type 2) diabetes.  In case you or others were thinking about "sugar blockers" as a way to describe the general class of meds to help treat Type 2 diabetes, this info from Joslin might be helpful.

http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/education/library/beginnerguide.shtml

These meds are available only by Rx from a physician and are completely different from the ones sold online, on TV, or in "health" stores.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Miss Sassy,
That's a great question and one I urge you to talk over frankly with your doc.  My guess is that there's a lotta frustration behind it.

I'm not a physician, but I'm highly skeptical of all the seemingly "magic" pills that claim to help folks lose weight, or maintain good blood sugars.  What I'm skeptical about is that it seems to me that each of us has to work hard, thru lifestyle changes, ways of eating, increasing our physical activity ... to be healthy for a long time.  

However, until we develop new habits & start seeing some results, doing all that can feel just TOO DIFFICULT!  It's not surprising that folks'll then look to a quick fix. I think that the hard truth is -- in the end -- it all comes back to lifestyle changes, ways of eating, and increasing our physical activity.  It's not pretty, it's not fancy, it's certainly not easy, but it works safely.

I suppose my bottom line is that it's better to for me spend potential "sugar blocker" dollars on new walking shoes or a big bag of garden fresh salad veges or some wonderfully refreshing iced teas or a crosswork puzzle book.  I wish you success, Miss Sassy, and hope you'll find some good support for diabetes management.  It's not easy.
Helpful - 0
I thought your response might be something like that.  I saw a sugar blocker in the health food store and was curious especially what the long term affects it might be.

Do you have any thoughts on cinnamon or Holy Basil?

I am currently on meds but would love to gain control a more natural way.  I have consulted my physician about herbs but he is reluctant to advise me on that approach.  
Along with my meds, I am using cinnamon (
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.