Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Swelling

I have type 1 diabetes.  I do not have heatlh care though, so it has been awhile since i have been to see the doctor.  my question is this.  I've noticed in the past week that my clafs and feet have been severly swelling throughout my day at work and sch.  My calfs get extremely hard and I have to take my shoes off as much as possible to be comfortable.  Am I retaining like water or something like that?  Is it serious?  I'm getting concerned because I don'w have an active job or anything.  I sit at a comp. all day.  Please advise, if possible.  Thank you
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
DessaBee,
I'm not a physician. I'm a long time diabetic. I'd encourage you to see a doctor right away. What you describe sounds very uncomfortable and it's reasonable to begin to get this checked out. I wonder if this has slowly, gradually gotten worse 'til now it's bothering you enuf to be concerned.

As you suggest, you could be retaining water -- that can be from a variety of things including your diet, some interference with sweating, or something awry with your kidneys. It's definitely important to check this out.

I realize that a visit to the doc may well cost you a lot. I'm concerned that your not visiting the doc will cost you more :-( Be sure to let the doc know you're "self pay" because they will often deeply discount their fees to help you. Many docs also get lots of smaple meds that they might be willing to give a motivated patient that simply cannot afford the Rx.

I hope you'll take good care of you. Please check in again -- I'm sure you'll get more replies on this important topic.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your quick response and yes, I beleive you are correct.  I will have to go and see a doctor and hopefully I can figure something out financially.  F.Y.I., I did find out what it was though.  The condition is called pitting adema and it IS the retention of water, and I think salt, in the skin tissue.  When you push on the skin, then take your finger away it leaves an indent in the skin.  I again thank you for your quick response and I am very happy to have found such a resourcful website for all my health related questions.  
DessaBee
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.