Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Questioning if I should even be worried or not?

I am a truck driver, and back in 10-4 I was in a wreck.  As I sat at a stop sign a car decided he wanted to park UNDER my truck.  The next day I started having numbness in my left (outside thigh)leg, headaches, &back pains.  I don't remember feeling anything but like I was in a boat and just a slight rocking back & forth.
Drs have done xrays, MRI, EMG, and found nothing.
A few wks later I started having shaking & twitching (legs & arms).  Every now and then I do have a sharp pain in my right outside calf (like someone is shoving a pin in as far as it will go).  I have gotten the pain in my lower back down to 3-4 on a 10 scale, but the headaches;leg numbness & shaking/twichting; aren't budging.  I have noticed that when I have a little coffee with my sugar (haha) that after awhile the symptoms do subside a little.  Back on thanksgiving i did check my sugar for 24hr(father has had kidney transplant), and my sugar never got above 108.  I do not sleep but about 4hrs a nite, and ususally up in the middle of that even.
The dr's so far have not pulled any BLOOD WORK.  I do take 150mg of Zolfot daily.  The Dr's so far can't figure out what's wrong.  Dr that did the EMG test told me to look up Meralgia Parastecia(MP), but Dr that gave me the results said couldn't be since I was not wearing a seat-belt at the time.
The only thing that is being done is physical therapy, and ONLY Aleve/ibrofin.  Execdrin-Migran barely works.
I have an appt with my normal dr after the 1st of the yr, and am just VERY WORRIED HERE. ANY INFO WILL BE APPRIECATED.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Worried,
We are not medical professionals, so any information posted here should be verified with your healthcare team.  We  specialize in type 1 diabetes questions.  I am sorry that you are having such a tough time physically in your life right now but want to encourage you to hang in there.  Motor vehicle accidents can cause many different symptoms that can linger for months.  Regular physical therapy and possibly chiropractic care can work with your body during this healing process.  I truly hope that you have success with this and be patient, this could take some time.
Helpful - 0
Theblood sugar numbers you list are VERY normal, so if you are wondering about hypoglycemia or diabetes, i would not look in that direction for reasons for your weird symptoms. Your lowest number was still within the range of "normal" and your highest numbers were perfectly normal also. So it appears that you can cross diabetes and hypoglycemia off of your list of suspicions for now. Are your doctors looking at possible nerve problems caused by pinched nerves? one of my co-workers has had some troubles like this and ended up seeing a chiropracter in order to find relief from leg and foot numbness.
Helpful - 0
That was the EMG, and they found nothing wrong either.  Did the lower extremities, and the dr that did the test is the one that told me to look up MP, and then the dr that read the results is the one that told me it wasn't MP.
Helpful - 0
Geez, annoying symptoms you've had.

I'm assuming that since you posted here, you're diabetic, too?  You're sure got your hands full.

We're not physicians here, but long-time diabetics.  How is your blood sugar running these days?  The 24 hour report was excellent - is that usual for you?

While it's controversial in medical communities, I have had good results working with a licensed massage therapist who can also do skeletal alignment/adjustments and you might consider that avenue.  WHile I don't go regularly for "tune ups," increasingly I think I should:  Like you, I sit a lot for my work and if things are just a bit awry, sitting for long periods seems to make it worse.

I just can't pass up the chance to also encourage you to wear your seatbelt ;-).  I know a few folks who are alive today because of them.

Good luck; I hope that others who post here have some suggestions, too.
Helpful - 0
Well unfortunately I'm a Recycle Driver (at the moment), and like the postman it's hard to keep the belt on ever minute of the day.  Except when going from point A to B.

No I'm not a diabetic (that I know of at least), and questioning what MAYBE is going on here.  When I checked back in Nov my Numbers were 74 - 108 (even with the Thanksgiving Feast), and checked today at in-laws, and after eatting the Christmas Feast it was only at 116.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.