Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

vitrectomy

I had asked what gauge syringe is normally used to insert a silicone bubble. Yes I was definately mis-managed. This is the worst doctor I have ever delt with. Three times he talked about operating on my left eye, when it was the rifht eye in need of surgery. Do you know of any medically informative web sites i can research other than the common ones that I keep running into? Something that explains the exact way this surgery is to be done, something a resident would use to study.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have found someone else. The silicone has moved back to it's proper place, thank god, due to extreme amounts of positioning. If anyone has been told to go to the university of virginia, I beg you to reconsider and go to Morgantown or johns hopkins. These places have much better medical care. I have been told that my original surgeon caused the hole in my eye during the first surgery and that his technique used to place the silicone was not proper. All I can say is that I am extremely lucky that things turned out as well as I did. We still don't know how well everything will work out, it could take month's for my sight to return, if it returns at all.
Helpful - 0
I don't think you'll find any web sites giving detailed info about how vitrectomy surgery should be performed.  However, you can educate yourself about your condition and the surgical procedures currently being used to treat it, even if you have no medical background.  You'll have to learn some new vocabulary, which you can pick up along the way.  I suggest that you start with any of the major search engines, typing in "vitrectomy silicone" or other combinations of key words.  This should generate hundreds of resources, leading to even more resources.  Try different search engines.  You might also try the National Library of Medicine, Pubmed (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed).

Educating yourself about your condition takes time and effort, but it is very empowering.  Meanwhile, if you've lost confidence in your surgeon, have you considered consulting someone else?
Helpful - 0
no.  there isnt one that i know if.  plus there are a bunch of different ways to perform that surgery, so even if you find one way, your surgeon may not have used that exact method.

anyway, i dont know of any website that explains vitrectomy in as much detail as you are looking for...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.