Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Post-op Cataract problem

I had a cataract removed 1 year ago. Within a few days following surgery I experienced an obstruction to vision in that eye (left eye) which persists. When I blink it seems like a screen or gauze is being wiped quickly across my eye, usually from the centre to the left hand side, and vision is blurred. This clears quickly and clear vision is restored until a subsequent blink when the problem repeats. This does not happen with every blink, but occurs frequently .. maybe 1 in 5 blinks. There is no pain associated and overall vision is not seriously affected, but it is bothersome. This condition was not apparent pre-surgery. On a post op visit, the surgeon dilated the eye. His diagnosis was a possible hardening of the aqueous fluid. I find this diagnosis difficult to accept as it seems to have appeared suddenly. I was unable to discern if this blurring was co-incident with the surgery or if it developed shortly after as the drops I was using also caused some blurring. I do take saunas and did so within a few days of surgery but at the time of my post op visit had not considered this might be a problem.  
I am going to need the same operation in the other eye and would like to prevent this problem in that eye. Unfortunately the surgeon retired shortly after my post op visit so is not available for consultation.
What can I do to prevent a repeat in the second eye?
Would the hardening of the acqueous fluid happen suddenly, or would it be brought on by surgery? Would the laser used cause the problem?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
K-D
Did you doctor mention a PVD?  Sounds like some of the problems that I am having.  Was told a PVD happens more frequently with people that have cataract surgery. Hopefully, in most people, I am told, it will either fall below the line of vision, move to the side, or the brain will tune it out.  But it takes many months.  Was told 4-9 months.  Best of wishes to you.  I know how much anxiety it causes.

K-D
Helpful - 0
This describes my symptoms exactly!  Although, for me I see this "object" move in front of my eye whenever I look down briefly, then look back up.  The best way I can describe it is that it is like someone put a drop of something thick, like honey, at the top of my cornea, and I see it slowly run to the bottom of my eye.  When it passes directly in front of my lens, I see a blurring for about a second, then vision returns to normal once it is past the lens.  This happens almost every time I look down then back up.  I notice it more when I am in bright light.  It doesn't bother me too much when I'm looking straight at my monitor, but it REALLY is annoying when I am driving in daylight
Helpful - 0
sauna had nothing to do with it.

yes, technically caused by the surgery.  but its a common side effect and a known risk of cataract extraction.  it is also absoltely impossible to predict who will have this type of reaction and who will not.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info and correction. Would this have been caused by surgery or would it have been co-incidental. Would the heat of the sauna have been a contributing cause?
Helpful - 0
i think maybe you mishead...there is no such thing as "hardening of the aqueous".  as far as i know that does not exist.

i think he probably said and you probably mean "hardening of the VITREOUS, which is totally and completely different.  it also happens to be a very, very common condition.

it is fixable with a vitrectomy, but thats a pretty invasive procedure.  it would have to be really, really bothering you before most docs would recommend that.  but that is probably the only thing that would get rid of it.

there is no way to "prevent" the same from occurring in the other eye...

no, the laser had nothing to do with it.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.