Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Proptosis and Surgery

I am a breast cancer survivor.  A little over a month ago my onc, after ordering a CT scan to diagnose the source of daily headaches, found a 2x2 cm mass behind my right eye.  Both the eye surgeon and oncologist thought it was malignant but a biopsy brought the good news that it is a hemangioma.  Unfortunately, it is not operable since it is tangled in the muscles of my eye along my nose.  It is also exerting some pressure on the optic nerve.  I have some lingering problems with blurry vision when I am tired and my sense of it is that the vision in that eye is not what it used to be--but it has always been my weak eye.  The eye is proptotic by 5 mm.

These are my questions.  At what point do they elect to do surgery?  My eye surgeon says orbital decompression is the only way to fix this.  I can see a difference in the way my eyes look, but then, I know it's there and I'm looking for it. It also feels different and is more sensitive to bright light, but that's more annoying than anything else.  I do get shooting pains in that eye.

Also---why is gamma knife therapy not applicable in this situation?

Thank you in advance for some answers.  Seems we always think of these things AFTER we leave the doc's office and I'm not due back for next follow up until December!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have complete faith in my doc---he is well known and respected in my area.  The amount of proptosis is relatively small and the only reason they would do anything further would be to alleviate symptoms or prevent permanent damage or if it continues to grow.  That is why I will follow a regular schedule for follow up care with the surgeon. (Most info I can find relates to surgery done in cases with 19 to 28 mm proptosis).  I guess having been diagnosed with a previous and unrelated cancer makes me a little less likely to panic and assume the worst---I will, in all liklihood, survive long term from something much scarier.
Helpful - 0
"At what point do they elect to do surgery?"

totally up to you and your surgeon.  there are not enough of these to be some standard set that we all follow.  get surgery when the surgeon tells you to, or when you think the benefits outweigh the risks...whichever is 1st.

"Also---why is gamma knife therapy not applicable in this situation?"

dont know.  assumedly b/c radiation would likely kill your optic nerve/eye, requiring enucleation (surgical removal of eye)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.