Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

SCLERA BUCKLE COMPLICATIONS

I had a sclera buckle placed around my left eye in December 2005.  Two months after the surgery I started experiencing a dull pain (ranging from a 2-8 on the pain scale) that radiated out into my brow, temple, and cheek.  A recent CT scan confirmed I do not have a sinus infection.  My doctor says the buckle looks good and my eye pressure is normal.  I've been trying to get him to remove the buckle for the last eight months.  I get nothing, but blank stares from him since he still believes the buckle could not possibly be causing the pain.  

Have there been postoperative sclera buckle cases like mine where patients experience daily, sometimes extensive, pain due to the buckle?  What is causing the pain?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had scleral buckle surgery (the other eye)performed for the second time 4 weeks ago. I found that the pain radiating out around the eye and involving the brow is muscle fatigue with resulting pain caused from struggling to keep the eye lid up. I had this corrected after the first surgery with lazer resurfacing on that area of my face,  after struggling for 9 months. This most recent surgery was not as traumatic and I doubt I will have to repeat the plastic surgery. It's just something to think about. Try holding the lid up lightly with your finger and see if it relieves it.
Helpful - 0
Sounds like my eye pain...Try checking out Trigeminal Neuralgia..There are some meds that make this manageable..Good Luck...
Helpful - 0
Hi!  My daughter 42 has buckle removed last tuesday and doc. said it was a piece of cake, guess what! she cannot see out of that eye.  We are beside ourselves but removal was necessary as it was causing infection, buldging a little, has anyone had this experience, we are going to try for 2nd opinon tomorrow, surgeon said the retinalwa swollen but what does that mean.  Anyone had this problem.   thanks  marion
Helpful - 0
Hi!  My daughter 42 has buckle removed last tuesday and doc. said it was a piece of cake, guess what! she cannot see out of that eye.  We are beside ourselves but removal was necessary as it was causing infection, buldging a little, has anyone had this experience, we are going to try for 2nd opinon tomorrow, surgeon said the retinalwa swollen but what does that mean.  Anyone had this problem.   thanks  marion
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear of your pain. I had a sclera buckle done 8 years ago. I'm currently 36 in age. I had pain also. It seemed to be in the back of my eye. I questioned the doctors like you did, but ended up living with it. It sounds as if your pain is greater than what I felt. My pain has slowly decreased over the years. I currently get a dull pain about once month due to my buckle. (my opinon). I wish you the best.
Helpful - 0
Have you considered consulting other retinal surgeons (the best in your area) about what might be causing your pain?  Possibly a nerve was injured during your surgery, or maybe the source of your pain is something entirely different.
Helpful - 0
dont know if anyone else has this problem.  it is a little unlikely IMO that the buckle is causing your pain.  removing the buckle would be pretty difficult...plus it would greatly increase your chance of recurrent retinal detachment.  every surgeon is going to give you a "blank stare" when you ask them to remove it...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.