Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cause of detachment

Just curious since I've been thinking about the cause of my retinal detachment for three years... Could roller coasters cause it?  I was on a ride probably 5 years ago that spun too fast and my vision went black.  The ride was stopped because it broke down.  Could that have caused my detachment?
Also, after I have my scleral buckle surgery what is the hope of me  riding coasters again?  Thanks.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Believe me, if I were on a roller coaster that caused my vision to go black, you wouldn't get me on one again!  (Not that I have any desire to go on one anyway).    Susan12345
Helpful - 0
no.  much more likely to be just bad luck that caused it.

there are varying opinions on who can and who cannot have high "G's" after buckle.  safer not to IMO, but varying opinions on whether you can or cant
Helpful - 0
I'm not a doctor but I did a quick search no google and Wikepedia does mention (in its entry for "retinal detachment") that some doctors recommend that patients who have had a retinal tear avoid activities that can possibly increase the pressure in one's eyes. It states that there is little or no clinical evidence to prove that such activities such as roller coaster rides, parachuting, sky diving, bunging jumping etc. can cause retinal tears but that some doctors recommend avoiding them for patients who have had or are suspectible to retinal tears.

That being said, it's probably your call but if it were me, I would avoid them. Then again, I don't like roller coasters so in my case it would be no big loss.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.