Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

2nd retina surgery This time with oil

My first detached retina surgery was 5 weeks ago with buckle and gas bubble. Retina detached again due to scaring and I'm scheduled for 2nd surgery this week. I've chosen to have the silicon oil this time as it was recommended by both my opthalmologist and retinal surgeon. I've been told that I will have some vision thru the oil. What can I expect? Will there be some vision soon after surgery? Does it then improve? My Dr. said the oil will stay in for around 6mo. then removed. What type of procedure is the oil removal? They make it sound easy, but they make all the procedures sound easy
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, I have had 4 retina surgeries and surgery for cataract removal (side effect of retina surgery)

I had oil in the eye after my 2nd surgery.(2nd surgery was in July)   My vision was better after surgery than it had been with the "gas bubble".  It does look like you are looking through a bottle of oil.  I did adjust quite well and was just "happy" that I had vision in the eye.  

Night driving was complicated because of the oil but all in all I was doing fine; had returned to work etc.

Unfortunately, I developed scar tissue that had to be removed (almost 4 months later) I had to have a cataract removed from the eye on 11/30 so that the surgeon could see to remove the scar tissue.  I had my 3rd retina surgery on 12/5 to remove the scar tissue.  Removing the scar tissue has been compared to pealing tape off of tissue paper.  I went through the surgery with flying colors.  Everything looked so good that the surgeon did not put the oil back into the eye.  I was elated.  The cataract was gone and my vision was was rapidly improving. I could read the 4th line on the eye chart.  Then, problems again.  I had to go in for emergency surgery on 12/15 because a small hole developed that caused the retina to detach again.

The surgeons and I decided that they would use their discretion whether to go with the "gas bubble" or the "Oil" It was decided to put the oil back into the eye.  There are actually many patients that never have the oil removed.  I have talked to others that had it removed years later when the retina was stable again.

The recovery after the last surgery has taken longer (3 surgeries in a two week period Ugh) I had a lot of light sensitivity this time around but am happy to report that that has subsided.  I have a Dr.s appt. on Monday and am anxious to see how I am progressing.  

I have vision in the eye (looks like I am looking through oil) I also have an area that looks like a crescent moon that was black after surgery but is now very light in color and trasparent.  The concensus is that it is an air bubble that will slowing go away completely.

You will adjust to the oil. (You almost are re-training your brain; it is mentally taxing)   My advise, especially if you are a young person (They consider me a young retina patient and I am 49) would be to leave the oil in your eye for at least a year maybe longer. My surgeons explained that young patience have problems with scar tissue caused by what they call over-zealous healing. The oil can always be removed. The important thing is to keep the retina attached!  It/oil does not have to be removed.  One of my surgeons is still convinced that I can have the oil removed within a year.  I am not sure that I even want it removed. Only time will tell. My vision less than two months post-op contiues to improve and is not bad.  I have lost some peripheral vision because of the numerous detachments.  (Cataract formation is a side effect of the oil but removal is simple and takes only 15 minutes; nothing compared with the retina surgery)

Every patient is different. Your vision is never going to be as good as it once was but the alternaive is not good either.  Hang in there and ask a lot of questions. Keep your spirits up....
Helpful - 2
A related discussion, shape of eye was started.
Helpful - 0
answered with comment above
Helpful - 0
difficult to answer.  each RD case is different.  i have no idea what you can "expect" b/c i havent seen your eye.  more scarring...less likely to recover functional vision.  less scarring...more likely to recover functional vision.

most successful reattachments do have some vision after the surgeries.  but "what kind" of vision is vastly variable.  everything from "almost back to how it was before" to light perception only.  you'll likely fall somewhere in the middle.  most patients do.  wish i could give you a better idea of what you can "expect", but no one really can b/c no one knows.  not even your surgeon(s).  thats one of the reasons why they're really vague when they talk to you...that dont know what your vision is going to be like, either.  all they can do is reattach to the best of their ability and hope for the best.  thats all you can do as well.

sometimes the silicone oil is removed later with a syringe.  sometimes it resorbs on its own.  depends on how much oil is used and how good your body is at absorbing it.

most post-RD patients do have some vision, but they still need glasses and they have varying amounts of visual distortion and blur.  never as good as it was before...but better than nothing.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.