Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cataract surgery for my Myopia (age 30).

Hello I am 30 years old male. My vision is very bad and I and very near sited and left eye is -12.5 and right eye is -13 (I am very blind).  One day I went to my doctor to see if I was eligible to Laser Vision Correction and I was not eligible. Dr.  Recommend me to getting cataract extraction with intraocular lenses. But I do not have any catatact. He said I do not have to wear ant contact lens or the bifocal glass.
I am very scared with the surgery. When I reach my age 40 or 50 if I go blind. Would I be short sight or long sight? Anyone out there who
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Exchange of IOL was started.
Helpful - 0
If you are considering a Phakic implant (a lens inserted in front of your natural lens but leaving your natural lens in place) that is the ideal surgery for you.  If you are having your natural clear lens removed and replaced with an implant, that is not such a great choice as you are taking a significant increase in the risk of developing a detacthed retinal during your life time.  Highly myopic eyes are already at a greater risk of detachment and removing the lens in a young highly myopic eye significantly increases this risk and I would not advise it.
Helpful - 0
I am doing my surgery on Fed -22-07. I will update on it.  If any one out there knows any with experience or any know someone. Please give me a feed back
Helpful - 0
Thank you for my answers
My doc told me getting PHAKIL IOL. I am much chance developing cataract in my eye??? I f that happens I have to do IOL CATARACT on my eye.
Helpful - 0
Dr. Prince, I defer to your professional expertise on this issue; my knowledge has been acquired mostly from online journals and papers.  I've read that some cataract surgeons have expressed reservations about doing a clear lens exchange on a high myope because of the increased risk of retinal detachment.  But even without this additional risk, the loss of near/intermediate vision at age 30 strikes me as a terrible price to pay for eliminating myopia.  I suppose that monovision or multifocal IOLs would be a possibility, but these alternatives have their own problems. If it were a 30-year-old friend or family member, at the very least I'd urge them to get additional opinions before taking such a drastic, irreversible step.  By contrast, phakic IOLs (which don't involve removing the natural lens) seem like a MUCH better choice to me.    
Helpful - 0
Phakic IOLs sounds to me like a good option for you.  If you're not happy with the result, the lenses can be removed.  I considered this option for myself but decided to have a clear lens exchange (i.e., cataract surgery) instead, since I am 54 years old.  I was told that cataract formation is a possible complication of a phakic IOL but by no means a sure thing.  Good luck to you!
Helpful - 0
jodie: many docs suggest IOL lens exchange for high myopes, regardless of whether or not they have been diagnosed as having "cataracts".  its a pretty good idea.  and many docs explain it to patients as "cataract surgery", even if they dont have cataracts.

phakic iols as you suggest are probably an okay option as well...but "cataract surgery" (lens exchange) is certainly not out of the question for a -12.50 patient.  this patient does not necessarily need to "run" from this doctor.
Helpful - 0
IMO, either you have misunderstood your doctor, or (if not) you should turn and run (fast!)  Are you sure that your doctor wasn't suggesting that you get phakic IOLs, which are sort of like contact lenses worn inside your eyes?  This might be a good option for you, especially if your doctor has a lot of experience with these lenses.  On the other hand, if your doctor is suggesting cataract surgery for a 30-year-old patient without cataracts, this sounds like a really terrible idea to me.  In any case, I don't think you need to be afraid of going blind, either now or at any point in the future.
Helpful - 0
no, you will not spontaneously 'go blind' at age 40 or 50.  if you are nearsighted now, you will still be nearsighted then.  

yes, no -12.50 patient is a great laser candidate.  IOL lens exchange is probably your best surgical option...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.