Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pressure pain after laser surgery - normal?

Hi,

I had laser surgery last Wednesday (April 25) for partial retinal detachment in my right eye.  Is it normal to still have pain today?  I feel like I have a pressure headache right behind that eye, and it doesn't go away (though it does seem to have lessened a little bit).  Should I call the doctor, or is this to be expected?  I'm not sure how long it should take my eye to feel normal again.

I'm also worried because I understand it takes 2 weeks for the laser surgery to be effective.  I'm really worried that I'll somehow cause my eye to detach further in these 2 weeks.  It seems like the laser surgery itself would somehow be traumatic though the doctor insisted that it wouldn't make it worse.  Should I refrain from physical activity in the next couple of weeks?  I sure want to give my eye the best chance possible.

Thanks, Phyllis
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
any pain or any symptom after any surgical procedure should be mentioned to your surgeon or his/her staff.  no, i would not consider that symptom to be 'normal', although i also dont personally consider that to be too alarming.  still, your surgeon should be informed of your concerns of pain and questions about physical activity.

Helpful - 0
Hi I say call your doctor and find out they did the surgery and should know best.  As for resting my opionion rest is the best thing for somone even as simple as having a cold rest can make you better quicker.  This is your eye. If it were me I would rest.  
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the input!  I've left 2 messages with the doctor's office but haven't been able to reach the doctor yet (he's in pretty high demand).  I'm guessing it's just taking my eye a while to recover, but I hope the pain doesn't indicate some kind of inflammation inside my eye.  Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

Phyllis
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.