Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

eye problems

For the last 3 to 4 weeks my left eye has been waking me up in the early morning hours. It waters, and feels like glass is under the eyelid.  Painful.  Hot compresses don't help.  There is a small red dot at the base of an eyelash near inner tear duct.  The attack lasts from 5 hours to a few minutes.  Through the day it just feels dry and scratchy.  We have an air purifier.  If I sleep on my left side it really sets it off BIG TIME, but no position is safe.  Sometimes sitting up settles it down.  I need a decent nights sleep and I am travelling, currently 3,000 miles from home and I won't be back to my doctor for about 3 to 4 months.  I wear glasses and am in my 50's.  First problem I've ever had.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Pensort,
I am experiencing the exact same problem as you have for over 9 months. My first attack occured October 31, 2004. I went to the emergency room at 3:00am because I thought I had a piece of sand/glass/steel lodge into my eye and wished to have it removed. The attending doctor indicated there was nothing in my eye and wrote me a prescription for over the counter Naphcon eye drops. I was outraged and went to my eye doctor the following Tuesday. My eye doctor indicated the same thing (nothing was in my eye) and gave me a pamphlet to show me how to clean my eyes with Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. I would like to know if you have had any results or solutions to your dilema. I am in my early 30's and I am a male with no previous health conditions. Do you have pets or a pet with hair dander? I am desperate to find a solution/cure for the early morning wake up. By the way, my left eye becomes very sensitive to light and is almost blinding.
Helpful - 0
Now, you state it is near the inner tear duct? It is suspiciously sounds like Dacryocystitis. It is vitally important that you see a doctor immediately.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.