Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Inability to correct vision to 20/20

Does anyone have an explanation and/or experience with the inability to have vision corrected to 20/20 when it had previously been possible? (Center of retina was checked and is ok).
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
yes please keep me posted as this is of great interest to me and I'm sure to others.
Helpful - 0
Yes, thank you eye guy. Nan35, I am 52, have worn glasses since 13, have had cataracts removed and the best current correction possible is 20/40. My Opthamologist (also over 20 yr experience) only thought of checking the macula which was ok. Dry eye is not an issue with me but do have astigmatism, and floaters now. I will be seeking another opinion soon and will keep you posted re explantion &/or possible fix.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the response. I am 60 and have worn glasses since the age of 11.  I do have astigmatism and dry eye in the one that has changed to 20/25. I saw to doctors. The last opthamologist has been in practice and my doctor for over 20 years. The first doctor thought the dry eye was the cause but with treatment it has not improved.  The second doctor said it was the cataract.
Helpful - 0
Not everyone has the ability to see 20/20.  What's your age? Even if you saw 20/20 at one time, were contact lenses or glasses worn?  The macula is not the only part of the eye that affects best vision.  The cornea, lens, vitreous, and even tear film can all play a part.  Astigmatism can develop causing vision to decrease.  Keratoconus can develop slowly also causing distortion.  I would seek the help of a veteran ophthalmologist that has a broad focus to his practice, not a "LASIK" or refractive doctor.

Old glasses, family history and current health are needed to help figure out what is happening.  By the way, 20/40 is the driving limit in most states, and that is 3 lines higher (worse) on the chart.
Helpful - 0
I had the same question when one of my eyes can only be corrected to 20/25. The doctor didn't give me a clear answer or at least one I fully understood but he did say there is only so much power that a lens can deliver. In my case I have the beginning of a cataract and the lens can only improve my vision a little.  I share the need for clarification as well since I see people with very thick glasses and think they must have a much higher power than my lenses.  I know I haven't helped but I wanted to add my need for an answer as well.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.