Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Eye Twitching

Right eye started twitching about 3 weeks ago.  Happens at least once a day on and off for up to half hour.  I feel as if the eyelid is heavy/closing/? but it looks fine.  Today the eye ached for about 2 minutes. I am on medication for moderate anxiety plus depression and not prone to "attacks" anymore.  Even so I am 'anxious'. Have a history of moderate migraines, ususally on the left side, but lately I have had two flashing light episodes (usually painless) in about one week (ususally once in a while, literally) plus some aching on right side of head and illness last weekend.  I also suffer from TMJ, bilateral that worsened after a rear end collision a year ago.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
wow this place is great!!! I have found answers to 3 medical questions I had.  Big thnx to the contributing docs :)
Helpful - 0
The twitching is called "myokymia".  Its a kind of spasm of your eyelid muscles, usually benign.  Most people can stop it temporarily with a warm compress, but it sometimes returns.  It is most often caused by lack of sleep, but it sounds like you have other known neurological problems which could be contributing.

I have had some success in my office prescribing topical antihistamines like optivar or patanol to control myokymia.
Helpful - 0
I just wrote you a note in response to your comment below.  As for eye twitching, I've been told it's harmless (and usually stress-related).
Helpful - 0
Well, stress makes sense!!!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.