Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Optic nerve is swollen in both eyes

I have a round blue light that comes in the corner of my eye and goes to the other side of my eye. This just seems to happen from going to a lit room to a dim room. I saw the eye doctor today and she said the only thing she saw was that in my right eye the optic nerve is a little swollen and the left eye is where I am having the problems the optic nerve is really swollen. She said it wasn't anything an ophthalmologist could do so she is sending me to a neurologist, I am really concerned I also have been having a problem with noises, especially if I am in a large group of people I really feel over stimulated with the noise and I find myself holding my ears sometimes. My appointment is not till January 4 and I am afraid it could be a tumor any ideas.
-dbarr
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
very interesting.  I agree with your ophthalmologist, this sounds neurological.  A tumor is possible.  If the neurologist read/heard your history and decided that Jan 4th was soon enough, then it probably is.

Helpful - 0
I tro have wierd eye problems, dark flashes for 3 years, and my eyes are totally healthly according to the opth.  I had some dizziness this weekend and went to ER for a CT scan, ruled out tumor which had been nagging at my nerves. I would recommend finding another neuro to have a neuro exam sooner than later. I was able to schedule 2 appts with new neuros for next week and I live in a small area.  There should be somenone who can see you. I am having an MRI this morning, my 3rd in 3 years, as MS has been suspicious.  There is a great doc on this site who I am sure will respond to you. Best of luck...
Helpful - 0
I would say you might also try a neuro-ophttohalmologist.  They're aren't that many around, but usually they can relate better to visual disturbances.  They can also do all the viusual field tests, and order the CT, MRI, etc.. DrThomas Mizen here in Chicago could give you a recommendation to someone in your area of the U.S..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.