Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

worried about my eyes

I have been having serious eye problems as of late. My optomitrist has told me I manifest a chronic accomodative spasm in both eyes which is causing me severe headaches. This has happened in the past to where I would get a headache, go to my eye doctor, get a new prescription for contacts, and that would fix the situation. What is happening lately is that my prescription keeps changing and my headaches will not go away. I have some prescription medicine that helsp me cope but I am not sure what to do to make the headaches go away for good. Has anyone heard of this and can offer some tips or suggestions? I do work in front of a computer but I am not behind it for 8 hours a day. I just cant understand why this is happening to me all of a sudden. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
well pressure inside your eye could be  an angle closure attack.  i kind of doubt thats what you're experiencing.

it could also be a cluster headache, a form of migraine.
Helpful - 0
well, today its a bit different. I dont really have a headache per se but over my left eye is pressure. The rest of my head feels fine but I just cant get rid of the pressure over my left eye and my eye feels tired where as my right eye doesnt. This is the first time it has felt this way. Any thoughts??
Helpful - 0
yes.  not something i have done in an adult before, but i have treated children that way in the past...
Helpful - 0
he also stated something about being on cycolplegic treatment where my eyes would be dialted every day. Have you heard of such a thing? Thanks so much for your info so far.
Helpful - 0
i have done that to patients many times, and sometimes it helps quite a bit.  the cycloplegic agent itself has no lasting effects, but it makes sure that you are accurately prescribed...not "too much" or "too little", making headaches from inaccurate Rx pretty much impossible.

like you stated, it will pretty much ruin your vision for 24 hrs or so, however...
Helpful - 0
well it certainly doesnt sound like much fun but if it makes the headaches go away then I am willing to try it.
Helpful - 0
my eye doctor has also discussed the possibilty of doing a cycloplege (sp?) which i ahve done once before. The last time I did it, it seemed to work for almost a year until I needed to update my precription again. I wouldnt mind doing it if it will help my condition, albeit I will be useless for a day. What do you think about that? I am a software trainer so the most part of my job is in front of a class, not a computer. The days I dont have a class are the ones in which I am in front of a computer the most. I dont care what it takes to make the headaches go away but I am not sure how I would be able to tell what precription to wear if I was to get multiple precriptions. The only way I know its wrong is if I get the headache.
Helpful - 0
yes, all eye doctors have seen many, many cases of this.  it is certainly not rare.

the 1st thing to try is a prescribed rx for computer use that is DIFFERENT than your regular glasses/contact lens rx.  weaker if you're nearsighted, which i am assuming you are (stringer if you are farsighted, which i highly doubt you are).  do not buy over the counter reading glasses for this.  ask your optometrist to write you an rx for glasses to wear OVER your contacts while at the computer, or a different set of contacts for the computer, or a different pair of glasses for the computer, or something.  there are multiple options.  sometimes i even rx multifocal contacts even for those who are under 40 for this condition.

yes, you will likely end up buying more than one pair of glasses and/or multiple sets of contacts, which most patients are not too happy about.  but it might really, really help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.