Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Best types of contacts for dry eyes?

I posted before about having dry eyes at work and problems tolerating my contacts at work.  I use Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism, which are the most comfortable and tolerable for me of about 5 types I trialed.  I have ZERO problems at home, but my work environment is very dry and I can't seem to tolerate the contacts for more than 6 hours at work, vs. 12 hours at home.
The nature of my work is such that I don't sit in one place so I can't use a humidifier. I spend about 2 hours a day looking at a computer, but generally have an equal mix of close work and just talking to people.
I have a little bit of trouble seeing the computers with my near lens, and cant see it well with the distance lens, either.

I tried the Soothe drops 10-15 minutes prior to insertion as someone suggested to me, not really helpful yet.  I currently use Renu w/Moisture Loc (which has helped a lot) and Renu Plus rewetting drops.  I've tried other products, but these work best for me.  I take them out every night, rub to clean and soak overnight.

My eyes get red, itchy, and feel "grainy" after about 6 hours at work only.  At home I don't even know they are in, practically.

Is there another type of contact that might be better?  I do have astigmatism.
Right eye: -0.50/-1.25/170
Left eye: +1.00/-1.25/020

I'm about to bag the whole contact thing b/c I don't want the hassle of taking them out every day at work, remembering to bring my glasses.

Might there be a better brand of contacts I can try?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Tried almost everything was started.
Helpful - 0
Thanks to both of you!  I didn't know that about the fish oil, so you helped quite a bit.

I will make an appt to see about fitting me and trialing those others lenses you mentioned.  Worth a try, in any event.

You guys rock!
Helpful - 0
I tried rigid GP lenses a few years ago without luck.  I just can't seem to tolerate them.  I tried for probably 6 months in misery to adjust to them.  I gave up until last year when I began my quest again.  The Acuvue Advances are the best so far except for the dryness issue.  I don't think it's allergy b/c it happens at all 3 of the different places where I work--dry offices with filtered air systems.

I actually haven't tried ProClears.  Might give them a try, and maybe the Purevision.  Do you really think they will be that different from Acuvue Advances, or am I gonna have to suck up and take some discomfort or just quit?

I'm also just starting fish oil supplements to see if that helps after I read something about it here.

Thank you for answering questions on this forum.  It's a great help to people.

Helpful - 0
fish oil supplements is a great, great idea.  but be careful, oral fish oil supplelents are known to deplete vitamin E, so you need to take extra vit E if your particular fish oil supplement does not already contain vit E (most dont...the only one i know of that does is "thera tears nutrition").

proclear toric is completely and totally different than acuvue advance for astigmatism.  it may or may not work, but it is certainly something different to try.  proclear is THE ONLY soft lens material that carries an FDA approved claim that it may help dry eye sufferers.  again, no guarantee it will work, but it is NOT the "same" as acuvue advance for astigmatism.  different material, different water content, different base curve, different diameter, different design...just about the only thing that is the same as acuvue advance for astigmatism is that they are both "toric" lenses, and they both claim to help contact lens dryness.

purevision toric is brand new.  like 2 weeks old.  again, different in many ways from the other 2 listed.  ma or may not work for you.
Helpful - 0
Forgot to say I had the same problem when I was just using contacts for distance and readers for close work.  Good at home, bad at work.  

I also have the same problems whether the lenses are fresh from the box or 3 weeks old.
Helpful - 0
we're the same guy!  i'm the forum O.D, but when i reply to a thread thats already been "answered", i show up as my old poster name "Ag-i-doc".  i need to fix this but i have no idea how.  i'll have to email the admin & i havent got around to it.

but you're welcome!
Helpful - 0
just emailed the forum admin re: my 2 usernames.  i've tried re-logging in and changing the options, clearing my cache, etc etc...the problem is on their end.  hopefully we'll have it fixed soon...sorry for the confusion!
Helpful - 0
test.

okay!  looks like its fixed!
Helpful - 0
proclear toric is about the only other one that might help in a soft contact lens rx.  i bet you've already tried it.  purevision toric might also help...its brand new.  

if you really are "itchy", it might be allergy related.

but one of the best options for dryness is a rigid gas permeable lens b/c you could get consistent, great vision and at the same time order a "dry eye material" like lobob's "optimum extreme" material.  IMO that may be your best option, although it will involve a new fitting, more work on your doc's part, more patience on your part, and possible initial discomfort...but the long term probability of reducing your symptoms is much better with that option.

as for soft torics and dryness...not too much new under the sun right now.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.