Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

1 month old pterygium, need advice

Im am 20 years old, my birthday was yesterday. When i was 14 years old i underwent surgery for a pterygium on my left eye, 3 weeks ago i got noticed one had started on my other eye. Its been 3 weeks since its been there and now im worried. the little bump has show itself its small now but i fear it will grow bigger,. the redness reaches farther than the bump goes. I am afraid i will have to get this one removed too. since its still small., i will do the best i can to keep it that way. i read that some homeopathi or remefy called zincum met may help. im still young and this is confusing me alot. is there a way to make it leave without surgery? anyone out there has the same situation as me?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello everyone.,
I went to my eye doctor, he has the same situation as me. he had one pterygium removed and one not removed on the other eye. I asked him about the mitomycin and he didnt know about it. he cheked a book and said it was an injection. is he correct?

is mitomycin C some thing i should look for since im i had a pterygium removed at the young age of 15. or is it to late to take it?

I was going to the bank today and i saw this big green sign saying herbal remedies and homeapathic . so i went and bought some zinc met 30. i took one today and my eye looks and feels better. i hope
it is because of the zinc met cause i got 180 of them pill.
i also just found this web site http://www.homoeopathynet.com/pterygium.html

should i try these like mentioned in the site (Chimaphila,Calcarea carb,Zincum sulph?
Helpful - 0
ophthalmic mitomycin-c:
http://bjo.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/88/11/1425
Helpful - 0
this website http://www.metwesteyecentre.com.au/pterygium.htm says at the last paragraph that i can take medication to prevent the pterygyum from returning after surgery. What is the name of the medication there talking about?
Helpful - 0
unfortunatley there is no way that i know of to get rid of one w/o a surgical procedure.  also, the one you had when you were younger might even still come back.  i hope you've been warned of that.

as with most herbal remedies, it is unproven.  i have no idea if it will help you or not.  the only treatment i know works is surgical removal.

BUT!  the good news is that pterygium removal is a relatively simple, in-office, low risk surgical procedure.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.