Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

scotoma?

could you please explain to me whether seeing a grey area in your vision would be called a scotoma? or is that restricted to actual blind spots? what might cause a grey area if the retina and the brain is ok?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
the CT was done at the time of the black eye, about six weeks or so before this vision thing developed (or i should say, before it became noticeable to me ...).
i've been kinda experiementing a little and when the symptom does look like the effec you get when you push against your eye - EXCEPT it's their all the time and kind of intensifies and becomes more clearly defined on blinking, squinting and pushing.

Helpful - 0
unlikely to be related to any black eye.  yes, a "mass" pressing on your eye would have been seen on a CT so we can rule that out if the CT was clean
Helpful - 0
this is no problem!  you are not a pest.  you have a legitimate vision problem. i just dont know what it is!
Helpful - 0
thank you, doctor. i realise i am being pesky/persistant and i appreciate your patience!
Helpful - 0
thanks again ... could it have anything to do with a black eye i had in january? or could there be something pushing against my eye, behind it? i suppose that would be picked up on a CT scan .... grrr, this is driving me nuts ...
Helpful - 0
oh yes.  sorry...i know your story.  i wasnt looking to see who asked the question.

it would be difficult to easily classify what you describe as being a "scotoma"...
Helpful - 0
it depends on what kind of grey area.  if you can see the grey area...is it small?  or large?  most things that patients can actually and actively SEE are floaters.  scotomas are "holes" or missing spots in your vision.  they usually are not described as being "grey".  most people with a scotoma dont even know they have a scotoma, unless its a CENTRAL scotoma.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Archive Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.