Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

working out after hernia surgery

I have worked out for about 20 years.   I have just found out that I have an inquinal hernia and I am having surgery on it next week.   The sad thing is that I don't think I got it from the gym.   I think I got it from helping a friend move.    What a bummer!    Has anyone experienced this type surgery and do you work out now?    How long did you stay out of the gym and are their any excercises that you stay away from now.    Thanks for your response.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had an umbilical hernia surgery in 2010. I've never worked out doing any abdominal exercises in fear of what may happen even before the surgery. I have had three children and would love to get a flat tummy. Would it be a good idea to purchase and use an electric shock therapy belt? thanks
Helpful - 0
Had a surgery done in 04 for a umbilical surgery, since then I have had burning, pain, weird headaches, a feeling of passing out, my vision gets blurred at times to. The doc told me it should pass but it is now 2010.
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello!

As for the umbilical hernia it is always proper not to do abdominal exercises even after repair, lifting of weights should also be avoided.

You can do aerobics, cardio, etc.

Take care
Helpful - 0
I had umbilical hernia 6 weeks ago from abdominal exercises. My surgeon told me never to go back to doing those exercises. They are controversial and basically not good. He advised me to do aerobics only.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I had laproscopic surgery for bilateral inguinal hernia 18 months ago.Surgeon told me to go back to working out as soon as I felt like it.Did exactly as directed & overdid it a bit I guess, Previous worst side recurred about 3 months into working out as I was getting back to normal.Lower Ab exercises are what I blame as I actually felt a faint tearing sensation (no pain).I had a repeat Laproscopic operation 3wks ago & have been taking it very easy on sugeon`s .instructions since.Had an inspection by surgeon this morning.He told me.Recurrances occur  one in 20 after 1st op...& one in 5 after 2nd .I intend to go back into training one week from now.I will not be doing any lower ab exs for two years if ever, & will go very lightly on uppers.I`d like to get some advice too from someone who`s been further down that road than I have,if there is anyone that crazy. I`d like to hear from you. P.S. I`m 74yrs old.
Helpful - 0
Yes unfortunately I had that exact surgery a little over a year ago. I am happy to report I have been training hard for about a year and a half and am as strong as ever. The biggest thing is after the surgery try to minimize movement and strain. Avoid lifting anything as long as possible. And be particularly careful when after your 6 weeks is up and you are cleared to lift more than 10lbs. Ease your way back to working out very very slowly. If you like working out like I do(and I'm a trainer, go figure) than it should be painfully slow. But unless you want to end up back under the scalpel, go SLOW.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Exercise & Fitness Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.