Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

celiac question

I was wondering if anyone knew an accurate answer to my question.  I haven't been able to get a consistant answer from the nurses at my doctor's office.

I had a comprehensive celiac panel done a week ago.  The blood was drawn about noon and I had not eaten since 4pm or so the day before.  I know that you aren't suppose to start a gluten free diet before the test but I was wondering:

Since I had not eaten and it was considered a "fasting" blood draw, would that throw the results of the test off?  

My test was negative and that surprised everyone around me.  

Thanks for any help.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi I am awaiting my IGa level tests and biopsy for Celiac, but I gotta tell you that I bought gluten free pasta the other day and ate my favorite meal, and didn't have the digestion pain with it like with normal pasta.
It may be worth a try if you havent already to switch to gluten free products and see if you feel better.
Dunno your symptoms, but I found out I have a hiatal hernia, which is causing a lot of Upper Gi pain, etc..
Helpful - 0
I thought the blood test was a sure way to tell if you have a problem with glutens??
Helpful - 0
The blood tests for celiac are unfortunately not that accurate, and even the 'gold standard' biopsy of the duodenum isn't that perfect unless there is some fairly severe damage. Have you had your IgA levels checked? And specifically which parameters where checked in your celiac blood test? You may want to consider the fecal antibody test for celiac and genetic testing. Alternatively, you might want to go gluten-free and see what happens.

There are a fair number of 'adult-onset' celiac people who have all the symptoms but don't show up on a blood test, so you may not be alone if that's your problem.

You may want to browse through the question section at clanthompson.com
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem