Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

incomplete bowel movement problems

im 19yrs old. before a year and a half ago i had perfectly regular bm's. Now i get the urge to go and everything gos fine at first then mid-way through, my bowel movement just quits. Its emmbarasing but the stool like breaks off and even though theres stool right about to come out, it wont, no matter how hard i try, it leaves me feeling very uncomfortable like something stickin out my butt(litteraly). My stool isn't dry so taking fibre made it worse. I've had strectoscopy(?), mri, blood tests and several gastroentoligist(doctor) visits. And they found nothing wrong. im currently taking nelnorm which gives me diarrhea the first couple days of taking then once i've taken it for 2+ days it doesn't help at all.                 Somebody PLEASE HELP thanks
35 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
DO THIS when using the toilet to either pee or poo.  After sitting down bend forward and rest your chest on your knees then just relax no need to strain or push.
This places your elimination canal in a straight line exactly the same as squatting would.  You may have heard about putting a stool under your feet.  Well lowering the chest works 100 times better than raising the feet and you can do this in any toilet anytime anywhere not just at home where the stool is.
Sitting up on a toilet is not the natural way to defecate.  I worked out this method myself years ago and everyone I have told has said it works like a charm. Try it works!  
Helpful - 0
Captain's Log
I'm writing this from the toilet. Without food and with only the water beneath me. I ponder how long before my legs die from lack of circulation so I can at least have a proper meal. I guess I could eat the toilet paper; not like I'm gonna get to use it anyway. I feel like Elvis... and Anne Frank.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I am  mani, I had this problem, For this issue I have got solution from indian ayurvedic treatment. Lets start. First in the early morning 4 to 6 am wake up and boil a 1/2 litre water as much you can drink, after boiled the water add 1 or 2 spoon Salt as much you can with that water and then mix it and  drink that water with light hot. And then walk at your home.after 30 mins you will get urge. go to toilet. your entire colon will clear. follow this method next three days. after third day daily drink 1/2 ltr hot water only. you will get urge.(Note: monthly once follow the salt water treatment). I hope this will help you.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I am  mani, I had this problem, For this issue I have got solution from indian ayurvedic treatment. Lets start. First in the early morning 4 to 6 am wake up and boil a 1/2 litre water as much you can drink, after boiled the water add 1 or 2 spoon Salt as much you can with that water and then mix it and  drink that water with light hot. And then walk at your home.after 30 mins you will get urge. go to toilet. your entire colon will clear. follow this method next three days. after third day daily drink 1/2 ltr hot water only. you will get urge.(Note: monthly once follow the salt water treatment). I hope this will help you.
Helpful - 0
I have the same problem as the original poster. It started in late high school. It's hindered my life in so many ways. I'm in my early 30s now.

**Description of my issue:**

The movement starts off semi-normal, and my stool initially (the first part of the movement) looks normal and generally comes out normal. But the stool "breaks apart" and what's left are a bunch of "mini-stools" with an irregular "flaky" shape to them (although the stools themselves are soft). So for the next 20+ minutes I'm trying to push out the "flakes." At the end of the "movement" the colon is inflamed, and based on the toilet paper I'm using to wipe myself and how I feel, I'm still not fully evacuated.

But some days I'm OK. On these days, usually my first movement is large and normal. I'll have a second follow-up movement about an hour later (if I'm in a relaxed setting), which is usually a bit watery and "flaky," but it all comes out and I feel fully evacuated.

**What seems to help:**

- Having at least an hour in the morning while standing or kneeling, eating/drinking my breakfast. A standing desk helps with this. If I sit down before having my movement(s), there's a good chance I won't have a movement. I also need to be relaxed.

- For breakfast, having a cold caffeinated beverage, such as iced coffee or an energy drink. I cut the beverage with additional water. If I'm cutting an energy drink, I try to add some aloe vera juice with it. I add milk/cream to my iced coffee (not only does this seem to work better, but it also avoids teeth staining). This seems to stimulate my bowels.

- For breakfast, having a mixture of hot oatmeal + chia seeds. Add lots of water to this, as chia seeds absorb lots of water, and you want them "goopy" before eating so they don't cause constipation.

- Eating a banana or apple throughout the day.

- Adding a lot of bulky raw or cooked vegetables, such as broccoli, to my dinner.

- Conducting a strenuous workout the day/night before. Adding sit-ups/crunches to the workout also seems to help.

- Put some aloe vera juice in something you drink during the day. A bit of apple cider fruit juice (possibly cut with water) is usually a good choice.

- Drink some kefir before bed or after a workout.

**Follow-up:**

As you can see, following the above routine requires a lot of vigilance. Which is why I often fail and have to deal with a bad movement.

If anyone sees this thread and has a similar problem, feel free to try my routine. Give it at least 2 days.

Please post if it works for you. I'd like to know if my routine helps anyone else.
Helpful - 0
I've had the same problem for 2 years, i used all kinda of laxatives but nothing seemed to help! Then i found this great suppository that contains some kind of gas to help with evacuation. It's really safe it has no side effects, and it can be used more than once a day. A doctor in germany recommended it for me so i found there but i really have no idea if it's available somewhere else. I hope this helps :)
Helpful - 0
I have to use miralax and water enemas on a daily basis. I am waiting to see a gastro doc. I have had problems my whole life with this and it has been worse over the last two years now. I am tired of all the pain and the hours I have to spend in the bathroom on a daily basis. I go through bad bouts like the last few weeks where I am in the bathroom up to three four hours throughout the day. I am going insane being in the bathroom all the time. I have no life. I miss out on functions and hanging out with friends, etc. because of it. I am unemployed and this illness has def. kept me from getting a job to a certain extent.

the miralax and water enemas usually work the best for me, but there has got to be something better, there has to be a solution for all of us. I am glad that I am not alone. I hope everyone on here and everywhere else that has these problems finds some type of help, something that will improve their quality of life.

after I get to a gastro doc i will report back if they found anything. I wish you all the best. take care of yourselves.
Helpful - 0
I am a 54 year old female and have experienced your exact symptoms for years and years. However, I know the reason for my issues. I have three illnseess that require I take percocet 7.5 mg and opana er daily. Any kind of narcotic will make one become constipated. But, it wasn't until about 3 years ago that my constipaton became so bad that I have to put on a glove like doc & nurses wear and "dig it out." (sorry for the visual).
I have had a colonscopy and numerous blood work ups.
THE only thing that helps me is taking Mirilax about 2-3 times a week mixed with some kind of drink. If I take too much of it I get severe cramps and diarrhea. As long as I have to take pain meds I will be constipated and impacted, but I have to weigh the consequnces - quality of life, as in not being in 10+ pain 24/7, or not being constipated.  I'll choose taking pain meds.
I hope this was a bit helpful. I know your post was in 2007 and that by now you are back to normal; if not, look into Mirilax, it's OTC.
BTW - I have to keep gloves in my purse at all times because I never know when "not being able to push a stool out" will hit me. And, that's literally what it feels like - a bar stool!!!
Helpful - 0
My problem is similiar like above posts. This problem has started since my childhood, now Iam 29. I cannot go long outings, avoided early morning trips. I had colonoscopy 4 yrs back and they didnt find anything abnormal in it. Doctors said it was my psychological feeling....Damn Bull ****.
Any solution is welcome...
Thanks
Helpful - 0
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2007.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.
Helpful - 0
My problem seems similar to many of yours.  It now takes me about 3 hours to have a complete bowel movement.  It has progressively gotten worse over the years, it only took about 45 minutes about 10 years ago.  I had a colonoscopy about 5 years ago that didn't find anything.  I've tired high fiber, stool softeners and everything else my GI has recommended.  The stool usually very soft or particulate so its not like normal constipation.  I'll try some of the remedies on here but does anyone else have any ideas?
Helpful - 0
329994 tn?1301663248
I also have rectocele and a problem similar to yours, may I ask what kind of operation you are having? Have you had this problem a long time. For me, it has been 4 1/2 years and they are recommending a subtotal colectomy. Thanks for any answers!
Helpful - 0
I also have this problem of incomplete evacuation and have now been diagnosed with a rectocele and a intussusception where the bowel telescopes in on itself making it impossible to go to the toilet.
I had a proctogram and a barium enema and a sigmoidoscopy to find out what my problem was and I am waiting now for an operation to cure the problem.
Maybe speak to the doctor about a proctogram as this shows how well the bowel empties and what if anything stops evacuation.
Helpful - 0
Maybe a little late. But try squatting when going to the bathroom. Helps me a bit when I get those dry and incomplete bowel movements.

Not just raising your knees and stuff, full out squatting. You can look it up on the net how you do it :)
Helpful - 0
what for all these writings. have you ever got an answer to what you post!
Helpful - 0
i have a anal fissure and may be internal heommeroids ..suddenly my bowl movt changed .. incomplete bowl movt.. daily comes but incomplete..now i got a headach also b,c of that...i realy very very worrry about that..pls  pls.  pls.  help.
Helpful - 0
Something that has helped me a lot with this problem is Charcocaps (activated charcoal).
I take them several times a day.  You can buy them OTC at CVS or Walgreens.  There seems to be a relationship between this problem and intestinal gas,
Helpful - 0
its been 10 years m facing this problem. now m 30 and still sufferring. no long travels, no long outings for shopping etc. life has just stopped @ d age of 20.. just beaing with it.

any sincere correct solution ...........................................
Helpful - 0
Hi - I have been suffering form the same incomplete bowel movement problem since the last almost 2 years. It started out of the blue. I don't know what it could be though I do have a history of gastrointestinal problems in my family. I have tried changing diet to high fibre and raw foods but there is still not a day when i feel really relieved. The last time it happened was after an intense exercise session and never since. I have started exercising regularly and hope that it helps. Just wondering, but (i) do any of your have gas problems also and (ii) was there a period of inactivity which preceded the arrival of these BM issues? (since this was the case with me, a change in lifestyle from active to completely inactive)
Helpful - 0
I have the problem in conjunction with problems unrinating, but it appears it was caused by a lower back injury which causes nerve damage
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/8-2-4/65363.html
Helpful - 0
i have the same problem , have been told i have a bowel prolapse which happened after a hysterectomy.....drs wanted to do some more testing, haven't done that as yet but have used the "water enemas" using disposable fleet bottles which my rectal surgeon told me to use (had hemmrhoidectomy in past)....also have used the miralax, kind of alternate these for periods of time....seems to work but still have some pain (possibly now have more hemmrhoids?) upon bowel movement if i'm not very vigilant in keeping up the methods mentioned above.
may go back to the doctor again soon but for now this is the best treatments i have used...maybe you might try the gynecologist and not just the gastro drs...just a tho't.
Helpful - 0
have you found any help yet?  I started having the same problem and found the taking Miralax (found at drugstore) everyday helps but I don't know if i have to continue this for the rest of my life.   Does anybody know what the problem really is??
Helpful - 0
I had this problem for almost 20 years and found a simple and miraculous solution about 8 years ago.  A doctor told me to use an enema every morning for 3 weeks.  This made me a little more regular.  After that period of time, use the plastic bottle filled with warm water every day.  Sometimes I empty my bowel fully on my own but I often have to use the enema.  I'll repeat the process if I don't empty fully the first time.  This system has completely changed my life.  My 4 kids don't have to wait for me while I spend hours in the bathroom hoping for relief.  By the way, I tried many medicines and went to several of the best doctors in the nation before finding this easy solution.  It has completely changed my life.
Helpful - 0
969820 tn?1250609429
hello, you might be dealing with some impaction, which the stools are harder and stop because of this.  my husband has the same problems, he takes senna kot on a daily basis or you  will need to put salad in your diet daily if you don't like it even a small amount everyday with your lunch or supper.  the more salad the merry er.  this works wonderfully or putting your lettuce and tomatoes on you sandwiches everyday.  p.s. senna kot is sold over the counter and is delicate on your digestive trak.  jenny 590
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem