Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
186166 tn?1385259382

ANY IDEAS?

FRIDAY (4:00a.m.)  woke up with massive headache and nausea...vomited and went back to sleep
       (6:00a.m.)  woke up with severe pain in upper right quadrant of abdomen
       (3:oop.m.)  had an "attack" of some kind...pain worse in stomach AND pain in right shoulder...walking the floor and crying...pain is almost unbearable...this "attack" lasted about 10 - 15 minutes
       ******strange thing is that when I had the bad "attack", my blood sugar dropped and had to eat sugar to get it back up
       (5:OOp.m.)  went to ER complaining of above symptoms...blood work, urinalysis, xray, and CT scan done...doctor thought I had kidney stone because I had a trace of blood in urine (told him I ALWAYS had trace - this is normal for me)...all test came back normal...WAS SENT HOME WITH NO ANSWERS

SATURDAY - MONDAY     Constant pain in upper right abdomen and right shoulder...had many "attacks" during this time with my blood sugar dropping each time...each attack lasting about 10 -15 minutes...am looking for answers...don't want to waste my time going to different doctors
From everything I've read on computer, my symptoms are consistent with gallstones and maybe the pancreas involved since my blood sugar drops with every bad attack.  

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
82861 tn?1333453911
Sounds like classic gallbladder to me with the right shoulder pain added to the mix.  The CT scan can only rule out stones, and you can still have a poorly-functioning gallbladder with no stones present.  Ask your doc about a hida scan to evaluate the gb function.  It's a nuclear medicine test that just takes a little time, but is totally painless.  At one point, you'll be given an injection to make the gb contract, and they can measure how much bile is actually excreted - the ejection fraction.  If you get nauseated when the gb contracts, that's a good indication that is where the problem lies.
Helpful - 0
186166 tn?1385259382
Thank you for your prompt reply...I thought it sounded classic gallbladder too...just wish the ER doctor had picked up on that...maybe could have already had hida scan and have some answers.  I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow and I will definitely ask for the scan.
Wonder why my blood sugar drops?  Without stones being present my pancreas shouldn't be involved should it?
Helpful - 0
82861 tn?1333453911
Remember that the ducts for liver (bile) and pancreas, do join together and form the Common Bile duct where both substances get mixed together before dumping into the small intestine.  If you have sludge in the common duct, it can definitely affect your pancreas by slowing down the enzyme flow from the pancreatic duct.  And the pancreas is one sensitive organ that does not appreciate being "messed with" in any way.  :-)

Since the hida scan takes over an hour (at least, it did when I had mine done 9 years ago) and it's an expensive test, the ER doc probably felt that since you weren't admitted, you would just follow up with your regular doc and pursue from that angle.  It's the old, "Treat-em and street-em" mentality in ER medicine these days.  If an ER doc can get you to where you can walk out the door, then out the door you go.  Sad, but true I'm afraid.

I really hope you get to the bottom of this problem very soon.  Good vibes being sent your way!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem