A
A
A
Close

Bloating, Distention, Intestinal Gas

I am a 34 year old male in good health.  In the past 5 months, I
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've had the identical problems for the past 5 years.  I went to several doctors, holistic M.D., naturopathic, chiropractic, accupunturist and a gastologist.  I was finally diagnoised with Chrons disease, even though i do not display any of the other symptons you have along with Chrons, like loosing weight, rashes etc.   I was also tested for celiac disease and it was negative.  They did find that my "good" bacteria was virtually non-existant.  So I began taking Probiotcs  (87 billion strands a day, Garden of Life).  I also notice that if I do not eat any RAW VEGETABLES I can control the severe bloating and pain.( I do VERY WELL on meat)  Also, taking Raw organic apple cider vinegar when I bloat and have heartburn helps tremedously!  I was hospitalized 3 times for this condition.  The first time I was hospitalized they pumped my stomach and I was in the hospital for 1 week.  They put me on morphine and demeral.  The last two times they put me on demeral and some other drug to help the swelling go down.  They wanted me to take medication for Chrons for the rest of my life.  I began the medication but it did not help at all so now i manager it myself.  Oh, also try drinking Stomach Ease tea, you can get it from the health food stores.  Also i have trouble digesting anything that has hydrogenated oils in it and also peanuts.  Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
592427 tn?1295702664
I am 35 and have been suffering with all of these symptoms for about 6 years now. I am on a anti-spasmatic medicatication for the IBS wich seems to be helping a little bit. I take an anti nausea, and also nexium for the heart burn. My stomach always hurts. If i stick to just plain white rice or baked potatoes, grilled chicken (things of that nature), I am usually safe. If I venture outside of that I am asking for trouble. I take immodium before I go to work in the morning and I try not to eat anything that would not upset my insides. The pain is usually worse when it is that time of the month. My biggest downfall is that I still like to drink coffee. I have had every test under the sun and all the doctors can say is that I have IBS. So, to all of you out there, I feel your pain. I am glad I am not alone. I thought I was.
Helpful - 0
I too have been having these exact pains.  I am in my early 20's and originally was told by my primary care physician that the pains were likely ulcers.  It didn't add up though because i was prescribed nexium and when the pains came up, it didnt do squat.  

I'm thinking my issue isn't food related, as sometimes I'll wake up with the pains in the morning.  They start out dull then get really bad throughout the day as I'm sitting at my desk.  My problem is that the pains get so bad that I cant "release" the gas at all.  Does anyone know of a good medication (OTC/herbal/whatever) that can help relieve the pain?  Then, does anyone suggest a specific dietary supplement to help break some of the gas buildup down during digestion?
Helpful - 0
you may need to reset your digestive track. A good way to do this is get the book "French women don't get fat" it has some great recipes and can get your body back on track with portions. Also what the Greeks call tapa's is a good way to eye ball portions. Once you have spent a weekend reseting your body. Set out to eat simple foods and single foods. Raw foods that are not mixed and keep a journal. Also have your blood checked for any deficiencies. Some women as we  get older need for vitamin B, iron, calcium, magnesium, and so-on. These can play a role in our bodies ability to digest food correctly.
Helpful - 0
Raw vegetables help your digestive system. Staying away from beans, milk, cheese, veggies and fruits is a bunch of bull. The problem is enzymes in your stomach are not breaking down your food correctly. You need to build up good probiotic enzymes in your stomach and help break down your consumed food better and drink more water. Water should be 1 glass more that the daily recommended eight 8oz cups.  Yogurt is a good source of probiotic enzymes. You may need more that just yogurt, but practice protions and watch your food combinations, keep a journal. Also increase your daily calcium to 100 mg and magnesium to 500 mg.
Helpful - 0
I am in the process of figuring out my 'food triggers' (if there are any).
How do I figure out if what I ate is a trigger? Is it the food I immediately  ate? My systems start within 20 minutes of a meal (any meal). Is it the food I ate a meal ago just beginning to digest? or the food I just ate?
Helpful - 0
In the past couple of months, I have been experiencing the same exact  symptons as you. Only, I have just recently gone to the doctor and they prescribed Prilosec OTC which is for heartburn. My pain is in my intestine which causes severe bloating. I, like yourself, want my healthy life back. It started out where no matter what it was that I ate, it would cause for a burning sensation. But then it turned to bloating. I went to the Dr.'s office and after many many questions, they came up with nothing. It's not in my head and sometimes it doesn't even take food ingestion to bring on the bloating.  Did your doctor ever diagnose your symptons to an exact problem?
Helpful - 0
Thank you!  I hope so, too.
Helpful - 0
It can take a while before you firgure everything that you should eat or shouldn't eat. It depends of your body. I know this woman that has IBS but she can't have any pasta or potatoes or rice. But for me all those things are things that make me feel better in my abdomen.I hope things get better for you it took me years to get everything under control.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response.  I generally eat pretty healthy, but have been eating even more healthy lately.  A lot of whole/organic foods.  Out of all of the things that I have tried, I haven't tried a really good digestive enzyme.  I am going to pick one up this weekend to see if that helps.  Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
I would suggest that you try to eat very healthy food, to see if that helps. Also try to avoid all veggies that causes gas ( brocoli, cabbage, peppers etc.) I'm a IBS patient, and theres alot of things that I have to avoid, and I don't take that many meds. I take Imodium when I need to and Metamucil for extra fiber.. No oil in any food, nothing fried no dairy except Lactose free milk for cereal. And thats all, oh yeah I eat small meals and frequent meals. I still get cramps because of digesting but the rest helps to control my IBS. Hopefully that helped.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem