Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pain under ribs-gerd?? please help

I am 21 f and have been having pain between my ribs/below them. I have problems with a burning tummy and sore throat. Just wondering if this is Gerd or something like lung cancer since my whole chest hurts when I breath and have a history of chest pains but its not my heart. Also, would lung cancer show up on a chest xray? Thanks so much for any input.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been on nexium, aciphex and previcid and none help...still lots of chest pain. My chest exray was normal-could it still just be Gerd?
Helpful - 0
82861 tn?1333453911
At your age it's doubtful that it's cancer; but do not discount the ill effects that reflux (GERD) can have on your body.  You need to see your doctor.  Odds are good that it probably IS reflux, but it sill needs to be treated.

If you can't get in to see your doc soon, at least try some of the things your doc will tell you to do assuming you're dealing with reflux.

1)  Eat 4 to 5 small meals instead of the of 3 squares a day.
2)  Eat nothing 2 hours before you go to bed
3)  Avoid acid-producing foods like citrus, tomatoes, coffee and tea (caffeine)
4)  If symptoms are bad at night, you'll need a extra pillow to prop you a bit in bed
5)  Try some of the over-the-counter meds like pepid, tagamet or prilosec and see what happens.  You may need a stronger prescription PPI (proton pump inhibitor like prilosec) to control your symptoms

Again, please see your doc!  :-)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem