Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Stomach and stool problems for about 2 yrs

I have been having stomach pain and ongoing problems for about 2 yrs now, its been an everyday thing, and Im really getting tired of it, I guess i could say that im kind of getting used to the pain now. First off Im going to tell you the tests that i've had done about a year or so ago.  CT scan of abdomen, abdominal x-ray, blood work, complete abdominal ultrasound, urine tests, 24  urine, upper gi, chest x-ray, holter monitor, echocardiogram.  I'm a 21 yr old male, and i drink about 6 beers everyday, and a little more on the weekends.  I have this stomach pain everyday all the time and it seems like it is worse whenever I dont eat anything, but then after I eat about an hour or so later i will be starving again. I weigh 165 lbs, and im 5'11, I eat about as much as a 300 lb person weighs and never gain a pound, also for about a month or so now whenever i go to the bathroom, i have been noticing that my stools are really loose, not well formed, but not diarehh, and they are sorta pale looking and i frequently notice like this small red sliverish looking thing in my stool.  I constantly belch all the time, like from deep within my stomach,  and it seems to help relieve my stomach for about 2 seconds.  Sometimes the pain will radiate to my back also.  does anyone have any suggestions at all? please shed some light on this for me. Thank ya'll so much..
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The ultrasound on your liver is not going to show early stages of liver disease.  The liver enzymes must be watched or you could end up with full-blown hepatitis.  Alcohol has overwhelmed your liver.  The light-colored stool and red strands indicate liver function problems, the foam in urine is because protein is not being metabolised properly at the liver and/or kidney level, and your hunger is from that lack of protein absorption.  As for your tummy hurting, this is because alcohol makes the body too acidic, so you might have an ulcer, too.

Even though you had quit drinking for a period of time and still had symptoms, the liver was already damaged enough to continue your condition even without the trigger of alcohol, and any ulcer would make your stomach hurt no matter what you put in there.  And you CAN be an alcoholic with major health issues even at your age.

But you are still young enough to turn this thing around.  You can still have a productive, interesting, and healthy life if you quit drinking now and refocus on positive activities.  If you wait, you will pay for it the rest of your life.  Anyone who drinks as much as you is an alcoholic, no question about it.  You have no choice but to let it go, or your health issues will reach the point of no return, and your ability to earn a good living will be ruined.  I wish I had had someone tell me these things 30 years ago.  Two very fine books about all this are David Crosby's autobiography and James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces."

Have another complete workup in a university setting for liver disease from alcohol abuse.  The post above by "hpb702" is right on.  Jaybay, will you please also post on this situation?  Thanks.  
Helpful - 0
there was a period of a lil over a year when i didn't have one drink at all and that was about a year ago, when my stomach problems started, i had quit drinking for a year and it didn't change anything and now that i drink it hadn't gotten any worse or better, still the same
Helpful - 0
177554 tn?1256353793
Ask about Celiac Disease. It can cause many of the symptoms you are having and all the beer could becausing it. Celiac Disease causes a reaction to gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats). If you have it, you would not eat those things (drink gluten-free beer) and potentially solve all your stomach problems. More and more doctors are testing for this. If the doctor says you test negative, still try going gluten-free for two weeks. That means stopping the beer.
Helpful - 0
when the did the complete abdominal ultrasound the liver was included in the ultrasound and it was normal, and i believe i also had blood work for liver function done
Helpful - 0
You need evaluation for alcohol abuse and possible liver issues (which can be a result of that.).

Helpful - 0
I also have been noticing a decrease in the amount of urine, I dont go to the bathroom and urinate very often anymore, and when I do, i have been noticing that there is usually alot of foam in the toilet while and after i urinate. any suggestions on that?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem