Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what's the best test to diagnose stomach and GI issues?

What's better--upper GI x-ray or upper GI endoscopy? Does one test find more or is more accurate than the other?  
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi - it seems like you haven't had an upper endoscopy with biopsies - next thing to try. In my experience ultrasounds are a waste of time and money.
Take care.
Liz.
Helpful - 0
I've had an upper GI xray with small bowel study in February which found nothing. I've also had upper and lower abdominal ultrasounds (late fall 2006)--no abnormality except a severe case of gallstones so I had gallbladder surgery.  I've had a normal colonoscopy which was done due to family history and normal transvaginal ultrasounds (aside from diagnosing functional ovarian cysts). All labs have been totally normal except for a positive h pylori..

I'm on antibiotics for the h pylori (two kinds) and developed some horrible upper GI symptoms. I'm also taking Prevacid, which I have been taking since early fall and that even didn't help.

I am thinking all this is due to the antibiotics as everything else was clear and just needed to make sure that the upper GI xray, which was negative, caught everything.
Helpful - 0
I have had Crohn's for some 34 years and I have both barium x-rays and  endoscopies of the small intestine, from time to time. I think it depends on one's symptoms as to which test the gastro will advise. Micaela is correct - it's like saying apples are pears. I had a recent endoscopy which showed stricturing (narrowing) of the small intestine, which a previous barium follow through x-ray test did not show. Sorry can't be more help without further knowledge of your symptoms.
Take care, Liz.
Helpful - 0
both are useful for their own purposes.  if you have a mass in your abdomen, only an X-ray (possibly with contrast to highlight it) could see that....  but if you have internal damage to your stomach or GI tract, only an endoscopy could see that.  it's like asking...  which is better?  a sneaker or a high heel?  both are useful in different circumstances.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem