Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Symptoms: ulcers, low iron, achey joints, whooshing sound in ears, fatigued

Hi there, everyone.  Any ideas???
Sorry for the long post, but I am still hoping someone will answer me.  Thank you.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and I was diagnosed with 2 bleeding ulcers in December of 2006 from years of OTC use of ibuprophen, advil, aspirin and anti-inflammatory meds (due to a hip replacement/car accidents).  But because of the OTC anti-inflamatories, I lost half my blood (It is not from H-Pylori).  I had to have a blood transfusion to bring my blood count back up.  It was down to only a count of 4 and I was in ICU.  

In Jan 2007 after repeated gallbladder attacks, I had my gallbladder and stones removed.  To this day I have pain in my stomach that doubles me over in the middle of the night and I need to get up and take a swig of Gavascon to calm it down, sometimes just yogurt helps too.  It is pain right by my duodenum and radiates to my back due to my ulcers.

My GI Doc says that they should be healed by now, as I take 4 prilosec a day, tums, gavascon, mallox.. you name it.. I also have very achey joints too!  my knees, my hips, my lower back, my calves, elbows and nuckles.  why??  I have blood drawn every 6 weeks to monitor my low iron deficiency.  I was checked for CD (Celiac Disease) and they told me today, that I don't have that.  They will check for Zollinger-Ellison next.  

Also, ever since the weekend in December when I got so sick due to being extremely anemic and had to have the blood transfusion... from that weekend on I have heard a whooshing sound in my ears when I lay down, like marching going on, I know it is blood flow, but why is it doing that and where is it coming from?  At times I can feel it when I am sitting up on the couch, but at rest.  

I exercise daily on my eliptical and rowing machine and do go for walks in the evening when I have energy to do so and some days I don't have the energy to go very far with it.  I too could fall asleep at the drop of a hat but then am awake in the middle of the night with stomach pain.  What a vicious circle.  Any ideas?  I am getting a 2nd endoscopy and my 1st colonoscopy in July.  whoo hoo!  can't wait for that.  :-/  

If anyone has any ideas as to what it could possibly be, please point me in the right direction.  The doc says my iron is still low, but that i am not considered anemic anymore.

Thanks all :)  you can email me back at ***@****.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Poe,
You've got arthritis, which can be caused by a multitude of things.  A rheumatologist doctor can run you thru some tests and decide what the problem is and then treat you for it.  In the meantime, drink extra water, eat balanced meals, and try to do some real mild stretching exercises regularly.  Some alka seltzer at bedtime should help you sleep better.
GG
Helpful - 0
Hi I have very achey hips, especially at night and always have to sleep with a cushion between legs or have terrible aching. My knuckles ache too often and sometimes my knees. Any ideas?
Helpful - 0
Dear Celestial,
I am glad you got your gallbladder taken care of.

1.  The low iron will cause you to hear blood flow.  You are also tired because of the low iron situation.
2.  The pain in your tummy at night may come from eating large meals, which will create painful stomach gas.
3.  Some of your bones ache from your accidents.  Arthritis is also common in people, and the aspirin meds masked those symptoms.  

To boost your iron and combat the inflammation of arthritis, three times a week eat some tuna, salmon, or eggs.  To stop the gas pain in your tummy, eat several small meals instead of a couple large ones.  Cheerios with blueberries or bananas on top help digestion, too.  Warm baths and an electric head pad or blanket will help your aches.  Drink extra water during the day.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem