Aa
A
A
A
Close
208164 tn?1189755832

Negative results but still feel symptoms

Dr. Handsfield,

Hi, I've read through the posts here and I think that my case is fairly unique. I'm 27.5 weeks pregnant with twins. A little over 7 weeks ago, my husband admitted to cheating on me. He had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a woman he met online. It was only one encounter. Apparently she got tested for HIV among other tests 2 weeks prior to that encounter and all the results came back negative. She was also on birth control at the time of the encounter. I decided to work things out with my husband, and about a week later I started feeling some vague symptoms that may be HIV related. I was itching in certain areas occassionally, I had a sore throat (accompanied by a cold as I got caught in the rain once and it's that time of year), and on and off diarrhea. Three weeks post exposure I had my routine OB checkup and he tested me for gonorrhea and chlamydia after bringing my issues to his attention. The tests came back negative. I've read myself into anxiety on websites like webmd.com and wrongdiagnosis.com prior to finding this site. When I read about swollen lymph nodes I was poking around my neck and armpits for lumps. I felt some on both sides under my jaw but they're just tender to the touch and they occasionally throb. Rescently I started feeling shooting pains on my armpits but no lumps. I felt some on the pelvic area but I disregard them as torn muscles because of my babies' growth. I got a standard HIV blood test done 2 days ago and the results came back negative. I felt relieved but I hear about cases where people who get restested several weeks later come back positive. Why is that so when you say 6 weeks are conclusive? I still intend to get retested next month as I'll be a month away from giving birth and I'll have reached the 3 month mark. I'd appreciate your input. Thank you for your work and dedication to this site.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, i got hiv negative result.but i had fear....... was started.
Helpful - 0
208164 tn?1189755832
You're right, I'm sorry I've been through a lot. My husband and I were sexually active (unprotected) during those weeks before I got tested. If he was infected I would've tested positive judging by that. I won't bother you anymore. Thank you.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Never ever pay attention to a single report of an exception to the rule.  The fact that in 2-3 years this forum (or the HIV support forum) were started, there are only 2 cases in which someone reported turning HIV positive after a negative test at 4-6 weeks proves how rare it is.  Personal reports of that kind of "evidence" is the worst possible source for persons' own conclusions about risk or decisions about their health.

Best wishes--   HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
208164 tn?1189755832
Thank you, your response was very reassuring. I did read in the HIV support forum about a young girl who was raped, got tested at 6 weeks and the results came back negative but were positive when she retested at 12 weeks. And a man posted that he was negative at 4 weeks but positive at 12 weeks. I figure there's a higher chance in rape cases than in consensual sex... As for the man I just mentioned maybe it was a higher risk situation than mine. If my OB asks me to get retested I'll do it just to follow his orders. Again, thank you for the reassurance. It's good to find a website where they can give hope to people like us, unlike the other websites I mentioned which the information is insightful but makes it seem as if everybody's at risk. I believe my $15 were worth it.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The symptoms make no difference.  Your problem is your relationship.  It is not HIV.

Everyone else:  You may not jumpt threads or carry on anxiety-provoked conversations without educational value on this forum.  That is what the HIV support forum is for.  It also is why I never look at that forum.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
208164 tn?1189755832
Thanks again. I doubt you'll respond again but I have one more question. I noticed some tiny white bumps on my upper lip and some brown spots on the sides of them. They make me a little nervous but I'm also wondering if I've always had them and I'm just beginning to notice them. I've always been prone to skin problems and I've always tried to disregard them as a sign of HIV... I'm really trying to relax but I hate that they ask me to get retested.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your negative test result proves you don't have HPV.  I have addressed the reliability of testing after various exposure times innumerable times; just look at any 10 randomly selected threads on this forum, or use the search link for 'time to positive HIV test'.

You cannot calculate the chance your test was unreliable just on the basis of the test itself.  You are correct that some infections are missed at 6-7 weeks, probably about 1% of the time.  But in your case, it sill proves 100% that you don't have HIV.

Just use common sense and 6th grade math:  Assume a 1 in 100 chance your husband's partner had HIV.  Assume a 1 in 1,000 chance he caught it.  Assume a 1 in 1,000 chance both his and his online partner's tests were negative even though they were infected.  Now assume there was a 1 in 100 chance that, if he was infected, he passed the infection to you.*  A test a 7 weeks doesn't pick up 100% of infections, but 99% probably is about right.  The odds you have HIV, despite your negative test, calculates as 0.01 x 0.001 x 0.001 x 0.01 x 0.01 = 0.00000000001.  That is 1 chance in 100 billion.  (The world's poplulation is less than 7 billion!).  

In other words, there is zero chance you have HIV.  Your symptoms make no difference, and they don't sound like HIV anyway.  Have a 3 month test if it will make you feel better.  Or just follow your Ob provider's advice.

Best wishes for the health of your babies.  HIV is not an issue for them.  Good luck--  HHH, MD

* For the anxious types who think they see a discrepancy with other explanations:  The risk of transmission is higher when someone is in the window period, therefore 1 in 100 instead of my usual 1 in 1,000.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Get a grip.  You're behaving quite immaturely.  What in heaven's name makes you think that "white bumps on my upper lip and some brown spots on the sides of them" could in any way be related to HIV???  Stop examining yourself and looking for confirmation of the bad news you are worried about.  Accept the good news:  you do not have HIV.  Move on.

This thread is over.
Helpful - 0
208164 tn?1189755832
I also would like to add that my symptoms have not included fever (yet) and my appetite is still pretty high. In fact, I gained 14 pounds in the past month eating away my anxiety! My husband hasn't had any fever but he's had diarrhea on and off and I noticed a fairly large red blotch on his leg which he had no idea how he got it. He doesn't want to get tested until the 6 month mark because he wants to be 100% sure. He's gone through s lot of stress as well he just doesn't show it the same way I do. Me and my husband decided to work things out and we went through 3 weeks of marriage counseling and I'd hate to think what'll happen to us if I retested and the results came back positive.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.