Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tonsillitis & Scared, Feel Isolated, Please Advise

Dear Doctor,

I am an avid reader and have read your suggestions on the window period, but would greatly value your response as I don't have anyone I can talk about this with.

On NYE I did something stupid: I had unprotected sex with a woman I barely knew. We had intercourse 3 or 4 times without protection.  She had told me that she had been tested, but now doubt this included HIV. I cannot contact her because she turned out to be married!

In addition to my six week negative ELISA, I was tested at 15 weeks in mid-April via rapid and ELISA--both negative.  But May 2nd, I came down with a serious illness, 101.5 fever, white spots on tonsils and missed work. I'm better now, but my tonsils are still enlarged and with white spots and my right neck lymph node is enlarged.  I tested negative for strep and am waiting for a test result re: mono and am very concerned that this is because of HIV.  What do you think?  My blood test also showed that I was slightly anemic.  Could this be from poor nutrition?  I've been worrying and haven't been eating.

How confident should I be in my test result? What is the chance the test missed an infection?  What delays results up to 6 months? Do you recommend a retest and if so when?

My GP doesn't seem to know much about HIV testing...just moralized and said that anything less than six months is way too soon. I already beat myself up morally, and now I'm just scared and would value your counsel.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Got my test--looks like I managed to get mono.

Thanks for the reassurance doc.  I just moved and having to go through worries while learning a new area has been tough.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I stopped reading after 'I was tested at 15 weeks in mid-April via rapid and ELISA--both negative.'  It doesn't matter what comes next:  if you haven't been exposed since then, there is no possibility you have HIV, regardless of anything else you say in the rest of your message.

Now I have read the rest.  Guess what?  No change.

Whatever was causing your illness in early May, it wasn't HIV.  You probably had a severe but otherwise garden-variety respiratory virus, and I agree infectious mononucleosis is a possibility.  Aside from that, I have no other opinion, except to re-state in the strongest possible terms that it isn't HIV, and I see no reason for further HIV testing.  On top of all this, you give powerful evidence your New Years partner doesn't have HIV and really wasn't much at risk for it.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.