Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

More paranoid than ever before

This will be my last time posting, I promise.
I have tested negative after 2 months and 4 months after exposure.  My b/f and I are now back together in a completely monogamous relationship. He got sudden flu-like symptoms back in February (chills, sweats, sore throat, weakness, possible fever) that came on very sudden then went away all at once after 5 days. Now, just 2 days ago the same thing happened very suddenly. Neither of us have any STD, nor genital herpes or cuts on our genitals. I have been getting a sore throat worrying about this and my nodes in my neck feel a little hard about the size of cashew, but not really swollen. To add, I am a healthy 21 year old girl. He is a 23 year old male, healthy also but drinks excessive amounts of alcohol, which I heard may make you susceptible to sickness.
1.) Do his symptoms that resemble the flu match up with ARS symptoms? Is he missing some symptoms?
2.)Could my lymph nodes be feeling normal but I have just never noticed them before?
3.) If I infected him twice would he have the same symptoms Or would his body have an immunity and not show symptoms just as bad?  I didn't know if someone can get the flu twice in a year.
4.) Chances I gave something to him twice in 4 months?
5.) Would you recommend retesting if his symptoms really sound like ARS?  I don't have much money so I cannot keep seeing a doctor, so I hope you can help me. Thank you
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your negative test results, especially at 4 months, prove that you don't have HIV and could not have transmitted it to your boyfriend and that none of the symptoms you describe--in him or you--can be due to that cause.  Therefore the rest of your questions are irrelevant.  You and/or your partner should see your health care provider(s) if concerned about your symptoms, but forget HIV as a cause.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Ok thank you.  I know I can trust you when you say that because you obviously have been in this field for quite some time.

Just a few more curious questions, when was the last known case that someone tested positive after a 3 month negative result?  or even a 6 week negative?  Do you find it necessary for me to test in the future?  Is my 4 month negative just as reliable as a 6 month neg. would be?  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am not personally aware of a single case in the past 10  years of anyone with HIV whose test took more than 3 months to become positive.  For practical purposes, it just doesn't happen with modern HIV tests.  A 4 month negative is as reliable as you can get. There are no experts anywhere who believe it is necessary to test at 6 months.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.