Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hiv Rapid Test Reagent Risks ?

Hi Doctor,

When I was in india I had safe sex but I just wanted to be doubly sure. So I bought HIV rapid test in india of one company Span Diagnostics.

http://www.span.co.in/products/diagnoreagent/bloodbanking/hiv_rapid_signal.htm

This was approved by USAID . Check the link.

www.usaid.gov/our_work/global_health/aids/TechAreas/scms/hiv_tests0407.pdf

It had two chemicals. One was called wash bufffer and another was Reagent. As per instructions, first I dropped the wash buffer, then pricked my finger and tried to drop the blood on the pad. But since it was not dropping I touched the pad (with blood on finger tip). Then used the reagent. It came out negative (it was one red dot on Control side ... nothing on T side).

But then I am scared now that the wash buffer or reagent can cause me HIV (also not sure abt quality as it was bought in india). I have heard these reagents may contain blood tissues.

I have some symptoms after this test (3 weeks now) ... but it may be becuase of anxiety as well. Can you please help and guide.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The test reagents do not contain HIV or blood products, and cannot transmit HIV (or anything else).

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks for candid answer doctor. Very assuring.

Also I read somewhere that HIV virus can not survive for long at room temeperature. My reagent was there at room temperature for month before I used. So even if we assume that hiv was there, it can not survive for a month at room temperature of ASIA.

Thanks lot.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Given my first reply, which you found "very reassuring", the follow-up question is irrelevant.

This thread is over.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.