Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tested negative, but still think I have symptoms

I am really nervous about an unprotected vaginal sexual encounter 5 weeks ago.  

I had pains in my testicle and went to the doctor about a week after.  He diagnosed me with epididymitis without taking an STD test.  He prescribed me with doxycycline and been taking it ever since.  

I've been experiencing cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea, depression, etc.  Just recently I've been experiencing muscle twitching and feel my lymph glands in my legs and arms twitch too.  

I just took a Home Access HIV-1 test and received a negative result.  It was 33 days to be exact from the encounter.  Should I still be worried I might HIV?

Also, is it possible to have had pains in my testicle for a few years and not know it could have been related to chlamydia?  

Thanks for all your help you can provide
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you're still worried, retake the test at 3 months after the possible exposure date. Tests prior to 3 months (90 days) is not considered to be conclusive. Your negative result after 33 days is reassuring but not conclusive.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
See the opening sentence of my initial reply:  "You can be 100% certain your symptoms are not due to HIV. Not only was your risk too low and the blood test negative, the symptoms themselves do not suggest HIV."  Since your risk was too low to catch HIV and you already have tested negative, any symptoms you have CANNOT be due to HIV unless there are risks you don't describe.

This is my last reply in this thread.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Good morning doc,
I woke this morning an noticed a small rash in my armpit.  Should I be overly concerned?

Thanks
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The oral fluids test has the same performance, for practical purposes, as the standard blood tests.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
When you said "blood test" is usually positive in over 90% of people after a month, does the same hold true for non-blood hiv tests? (oral fluid via swab for example). Thanks.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the quick reply doc.

I just went to the urologist.  He said it might be prostatitis.  Infection and blood (white/red cells) were found in my urine after digital exam.  

He also said he doesn't think it's gonorrhea/chlamydia based because I would have discharge, etc.  

He told me to get off the doxycycline and prescribed me with levaquin 500/10 days.  

Also, the girl I had the experience with went to ob/gyn and her doc didn't think she had g/c also.  Her blood tests will come back Wed.  

With his diagnosis and your 90% claim to effectiveness, do you think I still might have a high risk of HIV?  I know it's redundant, but looking for reassurance like everyone else.  

Thanks again for your help.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You can be 100% certain your symptoms are not due to HIV.  Not only was your risk too low and the blood test negative, the symptoms themselves do not suggest HIV.  However, diarrhea is a common side effect of doxycycline and nause can be as well.  Acute HIV never occurs without fever, usually pretty high fever at that.  And an HIV blood test (including the "earlier" test used by Home Access) will be positive in over 90% of people tested a month after infection.

You didn't have epididymitis, which does not simply cause vague testicular pain.  It causes very severe pain, tenderness, and swelling of a single testicle; and when due to STD, usually has symptoms of urethritis (discharge, painful urination).  (In STD clinics, some men with epididymitis are recognized at the check-in desk, because of the way they walk.  It's that painful.)  Epididymitis treatment normally is 7-10 days in duration; sounds like its long past time for you to stop the doxycycline.

Chlamydia is not carried "for years" in men.  Most infections resolve spontaneously, even without treatment, within a few months.

From the overall tone of your question and your use of "depression", I'm suspicious that is your main problem, likely the only one.  Discuss it with your doctor or a mental health professional.  If you want further reassurance against HIV (which is advisable only for emotional reassurance from the negative result), get retested at least 6-8 weeks after the exposure you are concerned about.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.