Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

exposed? tested, still desperate

First, I thank you immensely for this forum.  Your answers are very encouraging and informative.  I am 49, male, diabetes type 2 but doing pretty good with control.  I had a high risk exposure August 25, 2005...homosexual, anal sex, unprotected, I was the bottom recipient. He claimed he was negative, but I don't know.  I have no idea if he ejaculated, for I was drunk.  Afterwards, for several weeks, I had a sinus infection, ear infection (so did others in my family, so then I figured it was a cold making the rounds), followed by two bouts of diverticulitis.  I lost 35 pounds in about six months (started at 270, now 235 and holding - but for full disclosure I did not eat alot due to diverticulosis and also trying to diet to cut out sugar, at least from drinks).  I tested on May 11, 2006 at AID Atlanta (almost nine months after the encounter) with an Oraquick Rapid HIV Antibody (oral swab) test...it was negative.  I still have huge anxiety due to other "symptoms" - can't gain weight (doctor says its anxiety), occassional swollen nodes, low grade fever, on-going allergy symptoms - postnasal drip, irritated throat...doc says allergies, and I do suffer from them, though not this much.  Accute anxiety.  My questions are (1) is the Oraquick swab reliable and accurate enough?  (2) could my seroconversion have been delayed for over 6 months due to the stuff I had in the fall if it was not HIV infection (3) I am married...can I resume sexual intimacy with my wife (we held off for a number of reasons...she does not know), and finally (4) should I be retested, or can I rely on my test on May 11 and move on, seeking to resolve this through counseling and therapy?   Your answer is crucial to me, and I do appreciate all you are giving through this forum.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Okay lets see if the doctor agress with this

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

It says

"A negative result usually means that the person is not infected with HIV. In rare instance, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the 'window period". This is the period of time between the onset of infection with HIV and the appearance of detectable antibodies to the virus. THE WINDOW PERIOD LASTS FOR 4 TO 6 WEEKS but OCCASIONALLY up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at HIGH RISK who initally test negative should be RETESTED at 3 months after expsoure to confirm results."

This is RIGHT off the CDC testing manual.  Hope you trust your results now!!!!
Helpful - 0
Thank you, doctor.  The brevity of your answer was sufficient to help me past this moment.  My best hopes and wishes are with you and the thousands you help through this forum.
Helpful - 0
you're negative.  you don't have HIV.  It really doesn't matter how much you try to talk yourself into it.  You probably lost weight due to stress.  Anxiety does all kinds of wierd things to you.  You'll be fine, just keep yourself out of those positions, excuse the punn.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Thanks for the thanks--but don't expect an elaborate response to your questions.  Expanded answers exist in multiple prior threads.  Test results ALWAYS are infinitely more reliable than symptoms or any other indicator of possible HIV infection.  Search the forum for "time to positive HIV test", "ARS symptoms", and "HIV symptoms".

1) Oraquick is reliable.  2) It never takes more than 6 months to seroconvert.  3) You could have safely resumed sex with your wife over 6 months ago.  4) You do not further retesting.

You do not have HIV.  Indeed you can "rely on [your] test on May 11 and move on, seeking to resolve this through counseling and therapy."

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.