Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Previously Stressed

I originally came to this board prepared to pay a fee and ask  questions, which appear to have been asked a million times.  Because of those questions and answers, I have gotten my answers, but, decided to post in case 1) I am wrong and 2) maybe the donation will go to a good cause and with the information I received today, the money was worth it.

I had unprotected sex, three times in one night, with a guy I knew only a short time.  He didn't ejaculate in me during any of the times we had sex.  I know this was risky, but since my husband left me, I was lonely and vulnerable.

He indicates he was tested 8 months ago for insurance purposes, and was negative, and hasn't been with anyone since that time.  He's not a drug user and isn't homosexual.  Since our encounter, at 3 weeks out, I got a test (I don't know which kind it was through my doctor's office) which was negative.  I haven't had a high fever, swollen glands, or anything like that.  Only a slightly sore throat, which I think is caused by the ear aches I've been having.  It could also be caused by all the stress I've been having about testing again, up until I started reading this board tonight.

So, I guess I don't have a questions, but I will make a couple of statements, and if they are wrong, please let me know.

1)  With my test at 3 weeks, there's greater than an 80% chance I'm fine.  I should get another test done in a week, that will be 6 weeks out, if negative, there's a 99% chance I'm fine, but to be 100%, I should test after 13 weeks.  And, that there was only a 1 in 1000 chance that I got HIV from this incounter.

2) I don't have any atypical 'early signs', no high fever, no sweats, chills, swollen lymps, weight loss, etc.

3) I need to stop reading the internet, because as useful as it can be, in some instances you only see the bad things and stop worrying so much (which I can't help I'm the biggest worry-wort there is).

Thanks again for this board.  If it hadn't been for this board, I would be panic stricken for several more weeks.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I tested 8 weeks (1st week in August) after my encounter and it was negatiave.  Based on what I've read on the boards, I don't need further testing, is this correct?

I do have two questions, I was hoping to have answered:

1) IF you were having symptoms of ARS, what exactly is a "high" fever, i.e, 101, 102, or higher etc?;

2) Three 1/2 months after this encounter, I have gotten a large red area on the roof of my mouth.  Now, two weeks ago, I looked in the roof of my mouth and saw 3 or 4 red spots, then a week later, close to the entire roof of my mouth is read (I did burn my mouth 2 twice, severly, with super hot coffee), but, everyone keeps telling me the mouth heals so quickly, and it's been a week since the last burn and it's not going away.  Could this actually be a late symptom?

Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Thanks for the donation; I'm glad the forum was able to help you even before my responses.  Your statements indicatge you've got it right:

1) Your 3 week result is even more reassuring than you state.  Since the odds your partner had HIV were very low, and the likelihood was low you were infected even if he had it, even before the 3 week test you could be more than 99.99% sure you didn't catch HIV.  The 80% reliability of the test means your chance of having HIV is only 20% of 99.9%.  From a medical standpoint, you don't really need any further testing at all.  But feel free to test again at 3 months.  (There certainly is no need for 2 more tests, however.  Skip the 6 week one.)

2) Even if you had such symptoms, they would be due to something else!

3) I couldn't agree more.

Thanks again for the thanks.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.