Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

enough tme

Hello Dr. Hansfield , let me thank you in advance for the wonderful service you provide , and especially the straight forward answers you provide . Some people seem to dance around the direct answers to questions. Anyway I had an encounter with a woman of unknown status(I am a male) the encounter was protected for vaginal unprotected oral(cunnilingus)I had elisa test at 3 and 6 months , both were negative. My question is I am getting a few flea like bumps on my chest and stomach area , not really a rash just a few small random bumps. I guess my wuestion is regardless of symptoms a 6 month negative result is just that correct? regardless of random symptoms. I live in the U.S and I know for a fact the test only looks for hiv1 not 2 , but i understand no one in this country has ever caught hiv 2 here? i guess I am just trying to dismiss any symptoms I think I might have and accept the fact that the 6 month test is as definate as it gets.I did have one more question concerning performing cunniligus. It is something i enjoy doing but to practice it safely with dental dams etc , takes most of the fun out of it. Would you personally worry about contracting anything if it was you performing? Thanks,KTM.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Nobody gets HIV by cunnilingus; if that was the only potential exposure, there was no need for testing at all.  And a negative test result at 3 months (and certainly at 6 months) is 100% reliable.  Those results prove that your symptoms cannot be due to HIV.  See a health care provider, though, if you are concerned about the "bumps".

Practically nobody uses dental dams and few reliable prevention resources recommend it any more.  Almost no STDs are ever transmitted by cunnilingus.  The main thing is for both partners to not have any oral sores or lesions that could be syphilis or herpes.  Otherwise, don't worry about it.  (To answer your specific question, this is the same advice I would follow myself if I were still single and dating.)

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Hi, Sounds like you have been reading this forum before? Dr H will tell you that oral sex is an extremely low risk activity even if your partner had HIV which in all probability she did not. I think the doc will tell you that the 3 month result proves you dont have HIV never mind the 6 month negative. Do you own any animals or work with animals? The reason i ask is that if they look like flea bites they just might be that, or could it be a heat rash? anyway whatever it is you can be sure HIV is not the cause. Wait for the doc but i am sure his response will be similar. all the best.
Helpful - 0
You are negative  The bumps have nothing to do with it.  I agree about the dental dam taking the fun out of it!
Helpful - 0
you are negative   The bumps have nothing to do with it. I agree with you on the dental dam   kind of takes the fun out of it
Helpful - 0
Hey doc just one more question regarding hsv1and2. Is there much of a risk by performing cunnilingus? The reason I ask is this is the only test i did not perform. If hsv1 can be transmitted by kissing , is it considered an std?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your follow-up questions have been addressed several times on the MedHelp STD forum; search that forum's threads and archives.

I missed the HIV-2 part of your original question.  Don't worry about HIV-2, since you couldn't have acquired either HIV type by cunnilingus.  The odds are astronomical against you being 1) the by oral sex.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Doctor you say that nobody gets HIV from cunnilingus but the CDC has it listed with a couple of documented cases.  The only form of oral sex that the CDC doesnt have ANY documented cases are for insertive oral sex.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
ktm65:  My second reply was supposed to read "The odds are astronomical against both 1) you being the first documented case of acquisition by cunnilingus and 2) getting it by oral sex."  

cf516:  CDC's list of reported exposures are not necessarily proved sources of HIV infection.  They only reflect what infected persons said.  Most HIV infected people do not know when or where they become, but may make a guess; and others claim certain exposures because they don't want to admit others ("Of course I don't have sex with guys, but I performed oral sex on a prostitute a few weeks ago.")  Further, your statement proves the point about how rare cunnilingus results in transmission, if at all:  "a couple" of the millions of HIV infected persons.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
I still got it wrong--sorry!  That sentence is supposed to say "The odds are astronomical against both 1) you being the first documented case HIV-2 acquired in the US and 2) getting it by oral sex."

This time it's right.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Do you feel the same about Type 1 clade O as you do about HIV-2 (in terms of rarity in the U.S.)? I know some tests being used aren't licensed to screen for clade O or HIV-2 infection. Do you think that without a KNOWN exposure to either, that any timely standard blood test will be sufficient in the U.S. after a high risk exposure?
Helpful - 0
I thought documented cases were Proved, and only theoretical cases were hear say
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.