Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Serodia Particle Agglutination Test- One month after exposure

Dear Doctor,

I had a few low risk exposures: fingering, unprotected handjob from a massage girl and touching a person's hand with dried blood on (Just a stain only and I didn't notice any cuts on my hand).

I had two antibody tests at the similar times: Determine Test( Rapid Test?) and Serodia Particle Agglutination. Both tests are 7 weeks from the fingering exposure and exactly one month after the unprotected handjob and hand touching exposures.

Questions:

1. How reliable negative results of both tests,Determine and Serodia Particle Agglutination, are at one month and 7 weeks respectively? Is it the same as Elisa test?

2. Does a stain of blood on hand (surface only)carry the risk for infection? how long do the viruses die after exposed to air in this condition?

3. Please help assess my risks. Check through the archives, but still doubt.

Thanks in advance.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, HIV test after 37 days was started.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I don't know what is causing your symptoms.  It cannot be HIV.  Anxiety sounds like a good bet.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

Since your risk assessment is zero, i can as well assume that the one month negative results also indicates the 100% confidence, am i right?

I'm not sure if they are symptoms or results from my recent stresses/concerns of infection, but i'm having these:

Intestine problems: cracking noises inside very often, even if i'm not hungry. Is it HIV symptom?

Diarhear: On and off. Can it be a result from my intestine problems? Is diarhear the early symptom of HIV? Not severe at all, merely one time off each time i had it.

Chilling: Although my body temperature is at most 37
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
1) The tests you had are virtually 100% reliable by 7 weeks, but I do not know the details or differences between them.

2) There is no risk of HIV from skin exposure to blood, wet or dry.  The virus can survive for hours, but not in amounts that can result in infection.

3) Your risk of HIV was zero from the exposures you describe.  You don't need any further testing, but because so many authorities recommend a 3 month test (I do not), you might want to be tested then for peace of mind.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.