Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Testing for hiv

Hello doc,

Thanks for your time in this forum. I am a 20 year old male wondering about my hiv status, after having unprotected sex with a girl many times. Although I met this girl at school through freinds and we dated for a while. Around March we ended up breaking it off and went our seprate ways for sometime. During the break she had unprotected sex with another kid from a different school. This happened I think in later March. Unaware of her doing this we got back together around the same time. Then came April 1, when we agian had unprotected sex. After we did it, I thought nothing of it, and went on with my regular routine for a couple weeks. April 15th I began too experiance strong symptoms, discharge from my penis, fatiuge, muscle pains, sore-throat. I confronted her about how I was feeling and we agreed to get tested, she went first. Her test at about two weeks came back negative, for evreything. I went and got tested the 1st of May which also came back negative, for evreything. My question is this, why am I still experiancing symptoms? And are  the test's  at 2 and 4 weeks reliable?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I also forgot to mention I had tonuge ulcers for a few weeks, and I think some oral thrush? Can I get some advice?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Almost buried in your question is the only symptom that sounds important at all:  Urethral discharge.  Slight, completely clear mucus can be normal.  However, nothing but STD causes abnormal discharge, i.e. cloudy or yellowish, or substantial in amount.  See a provider right away for diagnosis and treatment.  Sending your partner for diagnosis, without getting it yourself, didn't make much sense.  You need testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia, regardless of her reported negative test results.

Please search the forum threads and archives for all the times I have discussed the low likelihood of HIV in heterosexuals in the US without obvious HIV risks (injection drug use, etc); the low risk of transmission for any single episode (or several episodes) of vaginal sex; the unreliability of symptoms as an indicator of new HIV infection; and the reliability of a negative HIV test at 4 weeks, especially in a low-risk situation.  Use such search terms as "ARS symptoms", "HIV transmission risk", "time to positive HIV test", and "HIV anxiety".  And if "everything" means your partner was tested for HIV and had a negative test, that provides additional strong reassurance.

I cannot say what is causing your symptoms apart from the discharge, except that the chance you have HIV is virtually zero.  But if they persist, follow up with your primary health care provider.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.