Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Window Period once and for all

Doc-

I know that you have answered many questions about this and often suggest searching for "time to positive test" in the archives.  I was hoping that you could give a one time answer that we could all look to for a reasonable testing window without governmental/legal CYA built in.  I know that it varies depending on the test, but for new generation tests without P-24 testing, how much time would make you sure that HIV was not present?

As for my personal situation, I know that you say below that my situation was virtually no risk, and I had a negative 3rd generation test at 46 days (6.5 weeks), but I cannot shake my nervous feeling.  Perhaps counseling is necessary for me???

Thanks.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ken,

I don't know if you need counseling, but I can tell you what I did to put the whole stress behind me. I just got tested at each of the windows I'd heard from reliable sources. So I got tested at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks, and post 6 months just as completely unnecessary but voluntary confirmation. Waiting out the window period is never easy, but when you break it up, lots of times it feels like it gets easier.

J
Helpful - 1
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Sorry, but there is no such thing as "once and for all" on the window period.  There are only estimates for the serconversion window.  That's because you can't ethically do the experiment to know for sure, to inoculate people with HIV and see exactly how long it takes.  Extrapolating from animal studies (which are particularly expensive if in primates) may not apply to humans.  Most newly HIV infected people do not know exactly which of several possible exposures was the source of infection--and even when that information is known, the exact seroconversion window cannot be known unless the exposed person is tested every day for a few weeks, which is never done.  Therefore, all statements about the seroconversion window are estimates; and because they are only estimates, different experts come up with different numbers.

That said, the general consensus is that the current, commonly used HIV antibody tests are positive at 4 weeks in around 85-90% of infected people, probably hit somewhere around 95-98% by 6 weeks, and virtually 100% by 8 weeks.  (But you can easily find experts who will dispute these numbers, for the reasons described above.)  Sorry, but nothing with greater precision is available.

Most people who suggest themselves that they would benefit from counseling probably are right.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 1
I took the Oraquick today with the results being negative. But unlike the previous time, the nurse asked me to swab my gums. Though she was directing me through the entire process, is there any possible way that I could have messed up in the procedure and cause my test result to be in error? It is a stupid question, I know, but just one that needs to be answered to rest my mind once and for all.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Covered here many times.  The answer is yes.  Search for "HIV diagnosis".

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Does the Oraquick test follow the same accuracy as the ELISA blood test? Such as an 8 week negative test with Oraquick is just as conclusive as an ELISA test?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Australia's network of sexual health centres (SHCs) are, collectively, just about the best STD/HIV clinics in the world.  Call or visit one, and trust their advice, their assessment of your risks, and their answers to your quesions.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
I know this is a bit of a thread jump...

if i had 2 unsafe sexual exposures with 2 different male partners ( i am female) would 10 weeks be enough for HIV and Hep B and C testing.  I had testing at 3.5 weeks and all came back negfative... was told to wait 12 weeks but just wondering if it would make much difference to be tested at 10 insatead of 12...

I am just fed up with the anxiety and thinking i am dying so being to scared to do anything with my life.. everything is on hold... its bad to think that 2 stupid decisions could ruin my whole life...

Also does anyone know what generation tests for HIV are used in Australia (thats where i live)....just trying to get an idea of how reliable the test for HIV, Hep B and Hep C were at 3.5 Weeks

Please someone .... all anwers will be greatly appreciated..
Helpful - 0
Doc-

In the past you have used the 4-6 week mark as when a test becomes very reliable, and have said that you have never had somebody test negative at 4 and then positive later.

Does the slight move in your recommendation come from new information and experience, or is it the same advice as before?  In other words, can I rest commpletly with my 6.5 week test after the behavior that I asked about last month?

Thanks.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There is no "slight move" in my recommendations, and the figures I used above are entirely consistent with my comments about when the test "very reliable".  Indeed I have never had a patient who was negative 4 weeks after exposure and positive later.  Test performance alone is not the only criterion for the reliability of a particular result.  Go back and read other threads (search "time to positive HIV test") for one of the many times I have given numerical odds of infection based on the combination of exposure risk, time of testing, etc.

This thread is over, as far as I'm concerned.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
How can the doc give anyone a guarantee?  He can only recite what he has posted on this site for the last couple of years which is more than likely due to his experience and findings.  4-6 weeks is a very good indication of your status. I'm sure in the doc had evidence of his window period being miscalculated, he would have posted that long ago.
Helpful - 0
This is just a thank you, doctor. Reading this forum through out this 3 month period has been a source of strength. I have had an eight week test (Oraquick) which was negative, and because of this forum I am confident that my 12 week on Aug. 8 will be negative and will be able to move on. Thanks again.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.