Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Late seroconverting?

Hello Doc.

After a stupid incident with prostitute about 6 months ago I am pretty sure and very afraid that I
21 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I got my 6 months result yesterday.
Elisa: "slight reactive".
Western Blot: Negative.
DNA-PCR: Negative.

I talked directly to the professor that is responsible for the testing in the lab which analysed my test. (it's a lab at a big hospital). She sayd that the test they use is for both HIV-1 and 2, and for subtype O. So she was convinced that I don't have HIV.  
Thank you all for your encouraging words!

male_51
Helpful - 0
Thank you for good words!

I asked for the result for ELISA/WB today, but the lab hadn't run the test yet. Since the DNA-PCR was neg, they didn't think it was necessary. I asked them to do it anyway, so they are running it now.
I just know that someting is very wrong. I have so much symptoms, and they all matches whit HIV. May be its a rare strain (O-strain?)that isn't picked up by the tests.
Helpful - 0
Sensitivity of a DNA PCR is greater than 99 percent.  That's according to John Hopkins and WHO.

Some Labs and scientific research across the country (US) report that after two months the DNA PCR reaches 100 percent sensitivity.  That's right, 100 percent. Look it up.

There are even some labs that state, "DNA PCR will always be postive from 16 days after date of exposure which leads to infection."  Look it up.

The doctor told you that you are negative.  LEARN. LIVE LIFE.  

Peace.
Helpful - 0
I was told today that the DNA-PCR was negative.
I havn't got the answer for ELISA/WB yet, but when the DNA-PCR is negative at 6 months, is that conclusive?

male_51
Helpful - 0
I'm glad your test came out negativ, freddy999. I pray to God that mine will come out negative as well. But I'm real scared. Thanks to all of you for your support!
Helpful - 0
It is a vicious circle this testing stuff. I know where you are coming from, but just keep on hanging in there day to day and you will feel better. I have had swollen glands now for 6 months and a feverish/flush to my face and neck yet the test says no HIV so I can understand your situation.... Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
I am also waiting for a PCR results (DNA).

I have had 7 elisas so far to 15 weeks, all negative.

I could get it today, but the waiting is crippling me.

Good Luck.
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your support.

Why don't you recommend risking a PCR test?
With the last blood-samples I asked for a PCR, and I am waiting for the answer.
Helpful - 0
With a Quantitative PCR, or viral load, there is a real possibility of a false positive test.  If your doctor is ordering the test he should be able to spot this for you.  You'll need another one and the overspending begins.
A DNA PCR is probably your best bet, the chance of a false negative, especially after two months is really, really close to zero.  Although not as bad as an RNA PCR, the extreme sensitivity of this test can yield a false positive also.

Too much money and stress and at the end of the day, you'll probably still question your results.  

Trust the doctor, you are Negative! An Elisa/Western Blot antibody test after 3 months is conclusive, regardless of what generation the test is.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Nobody should take freddy999 as any indication of a proper response.  Seven antibody tests and a PCR is incredibly wasteful and grossly inappropriate by all rational criteria.  

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much for your answer. I'm a lite bit more relaxed now, but isn't it so that in very rare cases one can have the HIV-virus and seroconvert very late or not at all?

About the Elisa:
In my country I think they use "week" or "sligth" reactive in Elisa screening.
I read: Values S/CO <0,7 is Neg. 0,7-1,3 is "marginal value". 1,3-2,5 is "sligth reactive" and >2,5 is reactive.
My test came out x3 with "sligth reactive".
Helpful - 0
Not only that but I paid for everyone of my tests.

Helpful - 0
DNA-PCR = Not Detected
RNA-PCR = Not Detected

Thankyou and good luck
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Don't take it personally.  I just don't want other users to think your testing is some sort of rational norm, which it is not.

It's your money, but it's still a waste.  Even taking into account the supposed inconsistency of advice and data on seroconversion time, there is almost never justification for more than 2 antibody tests, at about 4-6 weeks and 3 months after exposure, and PCR testing is indicated only for especially high risk exposures (e.g., receptive sex with a known-infected partner) and/or serious suspicion of ARS.  Even with the supposed uncertainties, 99.9% of people at risk do not seek the amount of testing you have had--in fact, in my 20 year experience with HIV testing, you take the prize for the most tests in any single person!

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Ok Doc....

None Taken :-)

I would not recommend my approach to anyone else either.
I have other issues that compelled me to behave like this.

I'm just glad I'm negative....

Have a great weekend.
Helpful - 0
Doc,

If you lot (the medical profession) would hold a consistent upto date view regarding test sensitivities and timelines that was adequately explained, you may find peoples responses start to become "proper".
Helpful - 0
I think u will be fine, first of all, forget about symptoms, they dont mean anything according to the doctor,plus the doctor said that ARS symptoms come all together, not one by one over 3 months, i also never heard that metallic taste in the mouth is an ARS symptoms. I am sure the autoimmune disease u have plays a role, but I am not qualified to elaborate on that, but the negative western blot should be right.
Helpful - 0
Sorry, but I now noticed you have rheumatism, an autoimmune disease, what do you know!  

I think you are going to be alright, USE CONDOMS!!

Later.
Helpful - 0
Keep in mind that your one time exposure of insertive penile-vaginal sex is a low risk situation.  Also, there is a reason why the HIV antibody test is set up the way it is.  The first test is highly sensitive,-so sensitive that is possible, although rare for a false positive result.  The second test is not as sensitive but is very specific, meaning if you have the specific antibodies that fight HIV it will most definately locate it after seroconversion.  

Also, remember that a negative western blot MEANS there were NO HIV antibodies found and that individual is HIV NEGATIVE at the time of the test.  If your test was later than 13 weeks you ARE HIV negative.  

There are a few reasons why an individual consistently has false positives, for example pregnancy which I hope being a male is not your problem, but auto-immune diseases as well.  If you still can't sleep at night, you could risk a PCR test but I don't recommend it.  But then I'm not you and as you will read couldn't help myself from taking it.

Now to symptoms, I can't fathom how the doctor keeps repeating himself over and over without resigning from this forum.  Hopefully I can make things a little easier for you.  I had a much higher risk than you and three weeks later had EVERY symptom--from mouth ulcers to fever to aches and pains to generalized swollen lymph nodes to hairy tongue, name it I had it.  I was told over and over again that symptoms mean nothing and I thought YEAH RIGHT.  Well after dozens of tests out to 6 months and a DNA PCR here and there, guess what NEGATIVE.  So symptoms really do mean nothing, especially in a low risk situation.

Good luck to you.

Helpful - 0
"If I got HIV, when the Elisa test was
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
To my knowledge, no responsible laboratory reports "weak positive" ELISA results.  Maybe "indeterminant"?  In any case, the Western blot tells the story.  Your negative results prove with 100% certainty that your symptoms cannot be due to HIV.  Neither garlic nor arthritis affects the HIV test results.  Read many other threads about the fact that symptoms never are a reliable indicator of new HIV infection, despite what you may have read and despite how classical the symptoms may seem to be.

So mellow out, relax. You don't have HIV.  Follow up with your health care provider if your symptoms persist.  Good luck--

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.